• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Requested: I can't ID this bird (1 Viewer)

leecea

Hi,

I'm new to bird identification and haven't been able to identify the small bird in the attached pictures. I saw the bird a couple of days ago in south-eastern Pennsylvania, US - just north of Philadelphia. It is a small bird and was darting around in some bushes, in a wooded area of my local park.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0066 (2).jpg
    DSC_0066 (2).jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0065 (2).jpg
    DSC_0065 (2).jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 22
Yes, a Yellow-rumped Warbler aka Butter-butt ;)

Hii Leecea and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

This is a Myrtle Warbler, so named because it can survive eating blueberries at a pinch, unlike most other warblers.
It arrives early and is always a welcome sign of spring for those who live in the North East.
The name Yellow Rumped is a disgrace imho, it cheapens a beautiful bird, just as the Common Yellow Throat name cheapens the lovely Maryland Yellow Throat.
The IOC needs a better understanding that names matter, it is not just a case of first in.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back