• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help to identify birdsong (Cornwall, UK) (1 Viewer)

andyhubball

United Kingdom
Hi. I live in Cornwall in the UK. I'm hearing a bird outside my house (I live in a village surrounded by farms about 4 miles from the coast) which is repeating what kind of sounds like a jingle or musical phrase. I don't have a smartphone to record it but have done my best impression in this recording by whistling. The bird call also sounds quite like a whistle. It's very repetitive, going on all day and evening. (There is another phrase the bird does also, which is slightly more complex). I haven't seen the bird and have listened to lots of recordings of birds common to the UK but can't find aything like this. Does anyone know what it could be?

Attachments

• Recording.mp3
    81 KB
Hello Andy,
welcome to birdforum!

I know, they arent (regular?) breeding in the UK, but try the following species:
Golden Oriole:

Common Rosefinch (yes, early may is very early for this):

Yes, I have the feeling, that I am missing a more common species. But I hope both species are good comparison species to start with, and you have excluded common birds.

Trying to identify a bird song/call from a human imitation of ... ;-) Not quite a recipe for disaster but fraught with danger lol. Although I would agree with Butty on Song Thrush - a fairly melodic fluty whistle. Repetitive of the same few short notes. (Different birds (individuals?) have variations of).

Hi. I live in Cornwall in the UK. I'm hearing a bird outside my house (I live in a village surrounded by farms about 4 miles from the coast) which is repeating what kind of sounds like a jingle or musical phrase.
Hi Andy, can I ask how long you have been hearing the bird for, and whereabouts in Cornwall you are (roughly if need be)? Bird songs can be difficult, is there any chance it could be a neighbours cagebird at all? But unless you have already ruled out Song Thrush that could be a good option ...

Hi Andy, can I ask how long you have been hearing the bird for, and whereabouts in Cornwall you are (roughly if need be)? Bird songs can be difficult, is there any chance it could be a neighbours cagebird at all? But unless you have already ruled out Song Thrush that could be a good option ...
Hi Dan. I live about 3 miles from Stithians Reservoir. I've been hearing it for a week or so. I'm pretty sure it isn't a neighbours cagebird. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll listen to some more song thrush recordings.

Hello Andy,
welcome to birdforum!

I know, they arent (regular?) breeding in the UK, but try the following species:
Golden Oriole:

Common Rosefinch (yes, early may is very early for this):

Yes, I have the feeling, that I am missing a more common species. But I hope both species are good comparison species to start with, and you have excluded common birds.
Thanks Alexander. Those are a bit closer than anything I'd listened to previously but don't seem to be it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back