• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help wanted with Ecxel formula (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
Can anyone with Excel experience assist me, please ? It is not strictly a birdy-type problem, so please send me a PM and I'll let you have my e-mail address, so we don't bore everyone else.

TIA (means Thanks In Advance, Marysan)

Tony

Go on, bore us. At least post the question you want the solution too, might be able to help?

Tony
This forum is not just for birding subjects, I would of thought that was obvious, judging by some of the threads alread here.

Yep, seems this is the 'Computers and The internet' section!

Feliz Navidad (that means Merry Christmas)

Jeff

OK, here goes. I want to create a spreadsheet to print labels, fifteen across by thirteen deep, in numerical sequence, first across then down, in sets of three. i.e. :

1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5
6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 9 9 9 10 10 10
11 11 11 12 12 12 13 13 13 14 14 14 15 15 15

and so on, without having to laboriously enter each number individually. I need to create labels from 1 to 4000. I have tried some of the hints from the Office 2000 Bible, which have left me tearing my hair, an activity I can ill-afford to indulge in these days. If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I shall be most grateful.

Tony

I'm guessing your going to Mail Merge this into Word for your lables, excel is just giving you the data?

If so you could do something like, its a bit raw but should do the trick!:

I've attached the excel file as well:

Sub Auto_Open()
A = InputBox("Input start Number", "Start")
B = InputBox("Input End Number", "End")
j = 1
For i = A To B
C = "A" & j
Range(C).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = i
j = j + 1
C = "A" & j
Range(C).Select
j = j + 1
C = "A" & j
Range(C).Select
j = j + 1
Next i
End Sub

Attachments

• test2.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 244
Jeff,
My apologies, maybe I didn't explain myself very well.What I had in mind was a spreadsheet where the numbers 1 to 5 appeared triplicated in cells A1 to A15 (ie A1 = 1, A2 = 1, A3 = 1, A4 = 2, A5 = 2, A6 = 2 etc), then dropping down to Row B for 6 to 10 (B1 = 6, B2 = 6, B3 = 6 etc). The formula you so kindly provided actually produces 16 individual sheets, with all the numbers in Column 1 on sheet 16, repeated 3 times - or am I doing something wrong with it ?

Yours, puzzled

Tony

Tony,

I guessed when you said lables you were using the Excel data to import into Word Lables.
Do you mean you just want the data to appear in Excel Cells?
A B C D E .....
1 6 11 16 21 ....
1 6 11 16 21 ....
1 6 11 16 21 ....
2 7 12 17 26....
...and so on........

If so its not possible to do 1-4000 in triplicate (not enough columns in Excel, or at least in Excel 2000 as i'm using) you can only get up to 1280.

i've attached an Excel sheet showing this, maybe i've missunderstood again?

Attachments

• test3.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Sorry again Jeff, it was late last night when I posted, and I made another stupid error - I'd forgotten it was the columns that were headed alphabetically. Let's start again.

A1=1, B1=1, C1=1, D1=2, E1=2, F1=2. G1=3, H1=3, I1=3, J1=4, K1=4, L1=4, M1=5, N1=5, O1=5

then

A2=6, B2=6, C2=6, D2=7, E2=7, F2=7, G2=8, H2=8, I2=8, J2=9, K2=9, L2=9, M2=10, N2=10, O2=10

etc.

Is that possible, please ?

Tony

Tony,

the easiest way to do this would be to enter the data in rows A1-O1 ie 111222333444555
In A2 enter the formula '=A1+5' copy that cell formula and paste it into the range A2:O2-A800:O800
You should now have 1-4000

Attached:

Attachments

• tony.zip
    75.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Jeff,
Thank you very much - that was exactly what I needed. I am eternally in your debt. Sorry I didn't explain myself better earlier.

For those that have followed this saga of sense (on Jeff's part) and stupidity (on mine), the labels are for my collection of 7" 45rpm singles - one label for each side of the sleeve, and one for the record itself.

Tony

Tony,

Not a problem, glad i could help, happy sticking. I'm guessing you have 4000 7" singles then.

Just under - but I'm planning for the future (at least until I've been to the doctor's this afternoon !).

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back