• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help where to fit 1 or 2 birding days into 3 week Oct/Nov trip of Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

Fiscalshrike

Since becoming a birder, it seems I can't just be a tourist. I am planning 3 weeks in Oct/Nov period (with some flexibility of dates). I am asking now as I think recommendations of where to bird will help define some of my itinerary and perhaps arrival/departure airports.
In some fashion, I am looking at - Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Seville, Granada. I'll have my compact binocs for opportunistic birding, but I would like to arrange 1 or 2 separate day trips for birding. As I am solo and with the $ exchange, that is the most I can afford.
I have been trying to read through trip reports, but it all blurs after a while.
For that time period, is there any point to travel sooner or later in those months?
For that time period, where are the key places to bird?
I have birded East Africa, so may have seen some migrants there, but otherwise Europe is new birding territory for me.
I am not driving so I would be looking to meet a guide at an accessible spot on my train route.
It appears that Malaga may be worth considering due to the Guadalthorce Delta, but not sure who in the area can guide there.
As well as shore birds, I am interested in some of the interior birds - bustards, eagles, but I think convenience is more the script.
Any recommendations, comments or suggestions?
Thanks

Alvaro WILD ANDALUCIA

Hi, Fiscalshrike! Welcome to Andalusia, you're right, a 3 day birding tour will give you a pretty good idea on what we have around. I lead birding trips (half, one or multy-day) all over Andalucia. I will be pleased to guide you, you can contact me by email: [email protected]
However if you prefer to take it on your own, I'd recommend taking a plane to either Málaga or Seville, and visiting Doñana, the Guadalhorce river mouth, the Fuente de Piedra lagoon and depending what you're specifically seeking I could say a few more places. Let us know if you want an organized trip with us. Sincereley,
Álvaro

Luis Alberto BIRDAYTRIP

Hi Fiscalshrike.

Malaga is a very good option to stay as you can choose among very different kind of accommodations, you will enjoy a good complementary cultural and gastronomy offer in the city, very varied birding destinations are easily accessible through comfortable highways from Malaga and the airport is just 10 minutes from the city center.

Please, contact me for further information at info at birdaytrip.com. You can also have a look at the thread "Birding on the Costa del Sol"

Best regards,

Luis Alberto Rodriguez

simple

Inglorious Bustards
Worth getting a guide by all means and the above seem like good options. As occasional states the Vulture migration in the Straits of Gibraltar is top notch as is the surrounding birding. In Tarifa old town there are great bars and historical sites to see as well. Perhaps consider combining this with Ronda at this time of year? That could be a great combination and even with time for Donana too. That way you'll get a combination of history, brilliant landscapes, fabulous birds, phenomenal migration and great food (and drink!). I would suggest staying in Juzcar fairly close to Ronda (so listing the town is possible without the hiked prices) and can recommend places to stay. Just email me on [email protected] and I'll be pleased to help (for free).

Users who are viewing this thread