• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help with a Banff, Canada bird, May (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, attached is a not very good photo of a bird flying along the "river" on the Cave and Basin Trail in Banff, Alberta, Canada. It was taken on March 15, 2019. A great place to bird even that early in the year. I was hoping that the what appear to me to be white outer feathers on the tail and generally colour of the bird might be enough for someone on here to ID.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_443.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_443.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 80

bhutjoe

Thanks, I was hoping Vesper :) which would be really unusual in Banff. I did not think Savannah had white outer tail feathers but maybe that is just the photo. It does seem to have a spot of yellow on the head. And Savannah are found in Banff at that time of year and location.
Thanks again, appreciated.
steve

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Sibley says for Savannah "Some western populations have obvious pale outer tail feathers". He doesn't define 'western' in this context, but I'd guess it would include Banff?

Users who are viewing this thread