• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a bird returning and exposed at night. (1 Viewer)

Hi. So lve have a bird the last couple of nights, white with quite heavy black markings around its neck (thought it was a dove at first) sitting on the roof of the adjacent buildings entrance roof, l can see it from my kitchen window. Its only came at night and isn’t there in the morning so l know it’s not unable to fly but it is fully exposed to the elements (its torrential rain atm) lve opened my spare room window and left food. Should l be worried? I’ve called and reported it but was fobbed off. Many thanks to anyone who can set my mind at ease that it will be ok in these conditions.

Attachments

• FF00C6E7-A0C4-47E8-A85F-A09B4B23D5A4.png
    FF00C6E7-A0C4-47E8-A85F-A09B4B23D5A4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Hi Loveydovey and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry, I can't quite make out what the bird is, but it does look rather pigeon/dove shaped. It will be fine, birds have evolved to cope with whatever the weather throws at them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join us. I agree with Delia, they are used to all sorts of weather.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.
I wonder if it is a collared dove as that may look white in the dark.

Hi Loveydovey and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry, I can't quite make out what the bird is, but it does look rather pigeon/dove shaped. It will be fine, birds have evolved to cope with whatever the weather throws at them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi Delia. Thank you very much for your response. I think my concern comes from it being out on the roof, out of the blue and only at night. l also have never seen a bird like it. The area l live in is highly populated with crows so this little one is quite unusual! Have a great day and l will continue to monitor loveydovey as that is what l have chosen to name it.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.
I wonder if it is a collared dove as that may look white in the dark.
Hi Kits. Thank you very much, l didn’t ever imagine ld join a bird forum but well l have and everyone has been very welcoming. I wish l could get a clearer picture but this little one only appears at night. I will carry on monitoring it, lm just happy to hear it will be ok and l know it’s not distressed or in danger.

Most likely a homing/racing pigeon that has lost it's bearings, perhaps even a feral type....that has found a safe place to roost.

Most likely a homing/racing pigeon that has lost it's bearings, perhaps even a feral type....that has found a safe place to roost.
I did wonder if it was a homing bird as it is a quite unusual looking bird, l have never seen one similar in my area. We have a large population of crows (our local area is actually called crow wood) so it definitely stands out! I just hope it is ok and finds it’s way home if it has one it’s too exposed where it is choosing to rest.

Hi Loveydovey...last year I had a lost racing pigeon take up residence on my roof, it stayed about 3 weeks and would not leave, I contacted various organisations like the RSPB, RSPCA and the local Racing Pigeon bodies and none were interested, in the end ( after I had stopped feeding it ) it moved on, so I'd say stop feeding it otherwise it may be with you for some time.

Hi Loveydovey...last year I had a lost racing pigeon take up residence on my roof, it stayed about 3 weeks and would not leave, I contacted various organisations like the RSPB, RSPCA and the local Racing Pigeon bodies and none were interested, in the end ( after I had stopped feeding it ) it moved on, so I'd say stop feeding it otherwise it may be with you for some time.
Hi. Thank you for your response. I’ve had a little look and it’s not returned so far tonight but it’s usually later it appears. It doesn’t seem interested in the food lve put out and like yourself lve contacted the relevant people but they’re not interested. I guess as long as it’s not injured lll just have to hope it finds it’s way back to where it belongs.

Hi Loveydovey - cannot make out your video as it is foggy - hope all is okay with your bird
Anyway welcome to the Bird Forum and enjoy all the education that you find with this Forum

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back