• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help with Australian Bird ID - Historic Cased Taxidermy (1 Viewer)

Sorry for being the odd man out here, but I actually think it looks better for lesser kiskadee than for greater, both with bill shape and with overall size (GrKi should be 23-24 cm!).

Niels
Hi Niels,

I agree, the beak does look more like the lesser Kiskadee.

Thank you!

Hannah

DMJ

Australia
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the replies, and the warm welcome to the forum!

Here are a few higher resolution images, I hope that they might help us to identify the mystery bird in question...

Also, just for Sicklebill, I've taken some quick snaps of the other Two Paradise Parrots in the collection. Apologies for the boxes in the background, but I don't have an ideal photography set up in the store unfortunately!

I really appreciate all of your expertise with this, and shows how important the sharing of knowledge can be in the Natural History and/ or Museum field. View attachment 1371094 View attachment 1371095 View attachment 1371096 View attachment 1371097 View attachment 1371098 View attachment 1371099 View attachment 1371100 View attachment 1371101 View attachment 1371102 View attachment 1371103 View attachment 1371104 View attachment 1371105 View attachment 1371106

Best Wishes,

Hannah
Hi Hannah, thank you for sharing the Paradise Parrot images, such a treat to see.
Hi All,

I hope that it is ok to post here, but I'm wondering whether someone might be able to help me ID a bird in a historic taxidermy case?

I work for the University of Aberdeen Museums, and am currently trying to update a specimen record for a case of Australian birds. I've managed all except the one on the bottom right of the case, with the yellow crest and white brow bar.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Hannah
Hi Hannah, hello from Australia - it's lovely to see the Paradise Parrot specimens in your museum's collection. I'm planning a podcast series this year to mark the centenary of Cyril Jerrard's rediscovery of the PP. May I ask what your PHD student's topic is? I woudl also be very interesting in any insight into Victorian era taxidermy. Cheers, Danielle

Hi Hannah, thank you for sharing the Paradise Parrot images, such a treat to see.

Hi Hannah, hello from Australia - it's lovely to see the Paradise Parrot specimens in your museum's collection. I'm planning a podcast series this year to mark the centenary of Cyril Jerrard's rediscovery of the PP. May I ask what your PHD student's topic is? I woudl also be very interesting in any insight into Victorian era taxidermy. Cheers, Danielle
Hi Danielle,

Lovely to hear from you. If you could contact me via my work email address on [email protected], then we can discuss further.

Kind Regards, Hannah

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Hi Hannah, posts#32,35

Looks like nothing I've ever seen here - especially the yellow crest ! The shape and size are somewhat reminiscent of the Crested Shriketit, and Grey Butcherbird ..... perhaps that's how it came to be in the Australian display ?

Unless of course it is an un(little)known extinct/lost species or something ?

Chosun 🙅

Users who are viewing this thread