• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird ID in Bhutan (1 Viewer)

L.Bee

Poland
This was taken up in the Lepela and Lawalla Pass area in Bhutan, in the Black mountains that form part of the foothills of the Himalaya mountains.
Could anyone assist with the identification please?

Attachments

• ??.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 41
Caveat: I'm a Bhutan noob ;-)

I'm looking at Inskipps/Grimmett 'Birds of Bhutan' and I would vote for Steppe (tho the head seems short and I see some wing chord thinning at wrist?).
Light chin, single white underwing panel and extensive underside barring point to Steppe.

Nice catch either way!

Caveat: I'm a Bhutan noob ;-)

I'm looking at Inskipps/Grimmett 'Birds of Bhutan' and I would vote for Steppe (tho the head seems short and I see some wing chord thinning at wrist?).
Light chin, single white underwing panel and extensive underside barring point to Steppe.

Nice catch either way!
Thank you, the head may look short as it was trying to look down my lens methinks! It would seem by the feedback I'm getting here and elsewhere that it is a Steppe, happy for me as it's a first here in Bhutan, I have seen them before in Africa.
Again, thank you!

Thank you, the head may look short as it was trying to look down my lens methinks! It would seem by the feedback I'm getting here and elsewhere that it is a Steppe, happy for me as it's a first here in Bhutan, I have seen them before in Africa.
Again, thank you!
We were there in November (not exclusively birding)… would love to go back!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back