• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird ID (1 Viewer)

_Prism_

England
Hello friends - I came across this fellow out in a bush and I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what it is?

Attachments

• IMG-20210607-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20210607-WA0013.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 101
I should mention the photo was taken around June in South West England and I initially assumed it to be a stork, but now I'm not so sure...

And are such birds, when away from their breeding grounds, approachable? I rather think not, or they wouldn't survive long in Africa without being eaten.
Well, they do keep some distance when foraging in the fields, but are less shy than e.g. Common Cranes and far less so than Black Storks. Assuming the OP has a decent enough zoom on his camera, it could just be a "regular" wild bird (or more likely, a re-wilded one - in which case it could admittedly be more tame than usual).

The photo is clearly taken from close range.
Actually the photo was taken from my wife's phone camera, which has a very powerful 5x zoom! The bird was looked like it was nesting and was across a stream from us (I'd estimate approx. 20-25 meters away). It was spotted while we were hiking around Gloucestershire.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back