• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with birds from California, USA (1 Viewer)

jocateme

Hi everybody,

Now I need help IDing some birds from California. These first 5 are all from Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.

1 & 2 (different occasions, same location) - I'm thinking Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, but can't rule out California GC.

3 - Rufous-crowned Sparrow?

4 - Anna's Hummingbird?

5 - Group swimming not too far offshore in the Pacific Ocean. Looks like some species of Loon, but is it possible to say which from this photo?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• california1.jpg
    california1.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 92
  • california5.jpg
    california5.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 80
  • california2.jpg
    california2.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 89
  • california3.jpg
    california3.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 86
  • california4.jpg
    california4.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
1&2 - I agree with Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
3 - How about Brewer's Sparrow - I don't see the yellow lore for Savannah & the coloring is not right for Savannah & the streaking is not there for Savannah
4 - Anna's Hummingbird
5 - Eared Grebes

Jocateme had 4 right, it's a Rufous-crowned Sparrow. Note the thick long and dark bill, rufous crown, faint reddish line behind the eye and overall olive color.

I thought 3 might have been a Rufous-crowned too. Its too unmarked for savannah/brewer/clay-coloured, and that longer bill is probably better for RC.

Thanks a lot, guys!

Wonder if you could help me with these ones as well?

1 - Newport Beach, CA. I know the pic doesn't help at all, but short bill + extensive yellow on underparts tell me Western Kingbird. Am I right?

2 - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. I wonder if those black-billed cormorants (like the two facing left on the top left corner) could be Brandt's?

3 - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. Pretty sure that's an introduced Yellow-fronted Canary, from Africa, but I'd like to know what's the situation of this bird in US. Does it have established populations or are they all escaped individuals?

4 - Los Angeles, CA. California Gull?

5 - Malibu, CA. I'm guessing these are a Marbled Godwit and a Black-bellied Plover, but as shorebirds are tricky as can be to ID, I'd love a confirmation.

Attachments

• california11.jpg
    california11.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 56
  • california12.jpg
    california12.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 57
  • california13.jpg
    california13.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 54
  • california14.jpg
    california14.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 37
  • california15.jpg
    california15.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 41
Your kingbird is a Cassin's (Western's don't spend the winter in California), and I'd say you got all the rest. As for the yellow-fronted canary, they aren't established anywhere, at least not on a large scale. I don't know if wild breeding has even been documented.

With the extent of the yellowish/greenish color on the upper breast, I think Tropical Kingbird is a possibility for the first bird in the second set of pictures. Cassin's should show more darker gray, Western a pale gray.

I was guessing Western for the two reasons you guys stated: large bill rules out Tropical, yellow breast rules out Cassin's (unless the extent of yellow is variable). Southernmost populations of Tropical Kingbird in South America can be only partially migratory. Couldn't that be the case with Western?

Posting another pic of the same bird, though I think it shows less than the previous one.

Attachments

• california21.jpg
    california21.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
From the angle of both your shots, we can't really assess how high the yellow comes up that well. I paid special attention to all the Cassin's Kingbirds I saw yesterday (about 8-10), and from this angle, they did appear to have the yellow come way up their chest. So still a Cassin's for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back