• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Costa Rica birds (1 Viewer)

ogurvits

I am going through pictures from my Costa Rica trip in January. I got a few where I could use some help - thank you ahead to anyone who can help ID them!

Bird 1: I saw think hawk near the Liberia airport - is this a juvenile Roadside Hawk?
Click here for hawk picture 1

Another shot of hawk picture 2

Bird 2: Taken near La Selva Biological Station. I would say it's a Gartered Trogon, but the belly looks too red - or is it a trick of light?
Click here for bird 2

Bird 3: Taken near La Selva Biological Station.
Click here for Bird 3

Bird 4: Also near La Selva Biological Station:
Click here for Bird 4

Bird 5: Also near La Selva Biological Station:
Click here for Bird 5

Bird 6: Taken in Palo Verde park - is this a Common Ground Dove or Plain-Breasted?
Click here for Bird 6

Bird 7: Near La Selva Biological Station. It's hard to tell from this belly shot, but I thought I'd give it a try:
Click here for Bird 7

1. I'm wondering about Grey Hawk, heavy streaking to lower belly isn't right for Roadside?

2. Has to be female Slaty-tailed Trogon?

3. Olive-backed Euphonia

6. Can't see a black bill so not Plain-breasted but it doesn't really look like commen either. What about female Ruddy-breasted?

7. Buff-throated Saltator?

A

4 looks like Bright-rumped Attila.
5 is a Wood Warbler of some sort, but my Costa Rica field guide is lent out at the moment, and my North America one is in the car which is covered in snow and I'm too warm indoors to want to go and get it right now!

My best guess for 5 is female Bay-Breasted warbler based on: bi-coloured bill, pale lores extending to light eye ring which doesn't extend past eye

1 Grey Hawk juv
2 Slaty-tailed Trogon female
3 Olive-backed Euphonia
4 Bright-rumped Attila
5 Bay-Breasted warbler
6 Plain-breasted Ground Dove (bill is actually pale to medium grey with or without a darker tip, try to look photos on Google Images)
7 Grayish (aka Northern Gray) Saltator

Ciao, Igor

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back