• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with dating Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 B/GA T*P Binoculars (1 Viewer)

mtbengel

United States
My old Zeiss Dialyt 7X42 B/GA T*P's are still my favorite binocular for birding despite more modern choices. They just feel right in my hands. Long story short, I couldn't resist a good price on a clean pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 B/GA T*P binoculars as a stable mate. Serial Number: 392512. Could someone help with dating them?

DCD57330-C5F2-4129-80CD-CB4124A9C5A7.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AF9329C-BA47-4088-9D04-A3C36B317344.jpeg
    7AF9329C-BA47-4088-9D04-A3C36B317344.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 36
Hello,

"Made in West Germany," certainly means that it was made no later than 1990. I am sure someone will help with a more accurate date.

Stay safe,
Arthur

My old Zeiss Dialyt 7X42 B/GA T*P's are still my favorite binocular for birding despite more modern choices. They just feel right in my hands. Long story short, I couldn't resist a good price on a clean pair of Zeiss Dialyt 8x56 B/GA T*P binoculars as a stable mate. Serial Number: 392512. Could someone help with dating them?

View attachment 1457733
This Binocular is from 1990 according to Zeiss, the poster previous to me is correct.

Hello,

"Made in West Germany," certainly means that it was made no later than 1990. I am sure someone will help with a more accurate date.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Mtbengel, how do you like your fairly recently acquired 8x56? Do you get the same good experience as with your 7x42? I just yesterday by lucky chance got my old 7x42 BG/A T*P* back after selling it a couple of years ago. And it's great to reexperience its many good points.

Tom

My 7x42 Dialyt T*P is marked 'Made in West Germany' and was made in 1993.

Zeiss did not change the marking with the unification of Germany, but several years later.

Graham

I've recently added an 8x56 T*P* to my group with serial number 403228. So this would be 1990 or later production? I had a T*, no P, during the 1990's, excellent for astronomy and light enough to carry around during the day too. I found a very clean one on fleabay and decided to try it again. I believe it's only 35 ounces which is amazing for a 56mm binocular. It showed up out of alignment and with stiffened focuser so it's being serviced by Zeiss in Germany now, I'm glad they were able to work on them.

There are some differences b/w the 7x42 and 8x56....AFOV is smaller on the 8x, and color correction isn't as good. I can't wait to get these back! Very difficult to find a clean one, as they seemed to be used mostly for hunting.

The current SF's seem like the heirs to the Dialyt legacy. The hold and balance on them is similar, and the longer focal length design, and the light weight. The 8x56 have the same "air" feeling to them, just like the 8x42SF. They're lighter than the typical 50mm porros from those days.

I've recently added an 8x56 T*P* to my group with serial number 403228. So this would be 1990 or later production? I had a T*, no P, during the 1990's, excellent for astronomy and light enough to carry around during the day too. I found a very clean one on fleabay and decided to try it again. I believe it's only 35 ounces which is amazing for a 56mm binocular. It showed up out of alignment and with stiffened focuser so it's being serviced by Zeiss in Germany now, I'm glad they were able to work on them.

Email Zeiss who will tell you the year of production. Gary Hawkins may also chime in with the year if he sees this.

Graham

The 16x56 Hensoldt Nacht Dialyt I think weighs 24 ounces or 670 gm, so 35 ounces is heavy in comparison.

It is beautifully made.

Regards,
B.

So the Dialyt was heavier than its predecessor. I heard back from Zeiss, this one is also from 1990.
So it's a Dialyt 8x56 marked T*P* and manufactured in 1990. Do I understand that correctly?

Is it marked "Made in West Germany" or "Made in Germany"?

Graham

Mtbengel, how do you like your fairly recently acquired 8x56? Do you get the same good experience as with your 7x42? I just yesterday by lucky chance got my old 7x42 BG/A T*P* back after selling it a couple of years ago. And it's great to reexperience its many good points.

Tom
Tom - Sorry for the delay in responding. I do like the Dialyt 8x56s but the 7x42s are still my favorite, this includes over my Swarovski ELs or Zeiss Conquests, which are technically superior. The 7x42s feel so slim, light, and well balanced in your hands; it makes the others feel a bit clunky and awkward (to me) by comparison, including the Dialyt 8x56s. While the newer models may be technically superior, the improvements feel insignificant (to my eyes) in normal use. Someone else might feel very differently. The 8x56s are a tad brighter at dusk but I don’t see much advantage over the 7x42s in normal light. The heavier weight of the 56’s vs. the slim feel, steadiness, and balance of the 7x42s, keep them as my “go to“ binoculars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back