• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help with Grey Herons (2 Viewers)

Flyer2010

Hi Everyone.

I am a newby so go gentle please.

Hope everyone is keeping safe!

I am a keen bird photographer and have been trying to find opportunities to photograph Grey Herons in UK.

I live in Yorkshire and would like some advise on locations where I would have a good chance of seeing a Heron?

There is one that appears occasionally about 10 miles from where I live but sightings are limited.

Any advise on locations appreciated.

Many Thanks

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Try the Ouse, or any urban ponds, in York, or the Humber in Hull? Urban herons are usually much more habituated to people than those in rural areas (where they often get shot at by water baillifs / gamekeepers) so much easier to get photos. Some of my best heron pics are from the banks of the Tyne in Newcastle :t:

Attachments

• Picture 411a.jpg
    Picture 411a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
I agree with the last post. I live in Birmingham and go birding in the more rural parts of Worcester and Warwickshire. All of my best grey heron encounters have been in the city parks and canal sides! Some herons will quite happily fish whilst you are watching them on the opposite bank of a canal/canalised river. Whilst on the reserves they are often hidden by vegetation or a distance away.

Cannot help with specific sites in Yorkshire - sorry!

DanM

Attenborough Nature Reserve is near guaranteed as is the stretch of the Trent beside it.

500mm ideally if you have it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread