• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID of US Shorebirds (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Hi.
Can anyone help with these two birds seen yesterday near Rockport Texas?
Thanks.
Jeff

Attachments

• Newcomb Wader reduced.JPG
    Newcomb Wader reduced.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Wader Goose Island reduced.JPG
    Wader Goose Island reduced.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 187
Not entirely sure on the dowitcher-the distal third of the bill appears to drop which is a pro Short-billed feature and the breast has quite a lot of fine speckling on it. Definitely a spotted sandpiper.

I would say you have a Solitary Sandpiper still in basic (non-breeding) plumage and a Short-billed Dowitcher judging from the placement of the eye (higher up than on a Long-billed Dowitcher) and the attendent more arching white eyebrow.

Larry Lade said:
I would say you have a Solitary Sandpiper still in basic (non-breeding) plumage and a Short-billed Dowitcher judging from the placement of the eye (higher up than on a Long-billed Dowitcher) and the attendent more arching white eyebrow.

Dunno about the dow but surely the faint supercil rules out Solitary Sand? Not to mention the yellowish legs and red tinted bill? To me jizz doesn't suggest Tringa either....

Last edited:
dan pointon said:
Dunno about the dow but surely the faint supercil rules out Solitary Sand? Not to mention the yellowish legs and red tinted bill? To me jizz doesn't suggest Tringa either....
I goofed on the first bird, I meant to say a Spotted Sandpiper in basic (non-breeding plumage) it is NOT a Solitary Sandpiper.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back