• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help with location (1 Viewer)

I live in Sussex and am new to birdwatching. After lockdown I want to start going birdwatching more. Can anyone recommend any places I can get to by public transport from Hove?

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Hi Charlotte

Welcome to BF.

If you are quite new to birdwatching, I would recommend that you start off by visiting the RSPB reserves in Sussex. After lockdown of course! You will find staff here that will be more than happy to help with bird identification and you could also borrow binoculars etc if you need them. Both Pulborough Brooks (near Pulborough) and Pagham Nature Reserve also managed by the RSPB. Both reserves are accessible by train (plus bus to Pagham) - you will find directions on the RSPB website here

Cuckmere Haven is also another good spot in that part of the Sussex Coast.

I’ve also marked on the google map a rough location for you.

Hope this helps!
193821A9-1279-457B-93F4-30D38A084C55.jpeg

Hi Charlotte

Welcome to BF.

If you are quite new to birdwatching, I would recommend that you start off by visiting the RSPB reserves in Sussex. After lockdown of course! You will find staff here that will be more than happy to help with bird identification and you could also borrow binoculars etc if you need them. Both Pulborough Brooks (near Pulborough) and Pagham Nature Reserve also managed by the RSPB. Both reserves are accessible by train (plus bus to Pagham) - you will find directions on the RSPB website here

Cuckmere Haven is also another good spot in that part of the Sussex Coast.

I’ve also marked on the google map a rough location for you.

Hope this helps!
View attachment 1364859
Thanks Deb. That’s very interesting and helpful!

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Charlotte and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm giving you a link to our Opus page for Sussex, which has links to the various articles on places to visit in the county. Perhaps you'd like to look through them and see what appeals. If you want any specific information about any of them, just post back in here with you questions.

My knowledge is more the west Bognor/Chichester area.

My particular recommendations are for Pulborough Brooks, Arundel, Pagham Harbour, Chichester Gravel Pits. To the east Rye Harbour is great too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread