• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with non-breeding plumage Ploceus weaver from Namibia (1 Viewer)

Hi Steve,

I not an expert, but I was also there in June. I think that this is a Southern Brown-throated Weaver as you and Andy have said. Southern Masked and Village have red eyes and Lesser Masked have black legs and smaller bills.
I think it's a female because of the bold shoulder and back pattern and the greenish head. I didn't see any during the 3 weeks I was there, so lucky you.

Last edited:
Steve, asking opinions from Southern African experts (only), may limit the numbers of replies a bit, don't you think? :) I'm not an expert but I think your bird is a Southern Brown-throated Weaver because of the bill shape and coloration and the eye colour.

All the best

Joakim

I think this is definitely a Southern Brown-throated Weaver. The bill shape is just right. The wing panel and the eye-line aren't as clear as they could be, but in the location, it's the only possibility, I think.

Here are a few pictures from Chobe (lodge gardens) last December.

1. Female
2. Female (not necessarily the same)
3. The male in the same spot
4. A juvenile male? in the same spot

Attachments

• 141230091 ChobeA.jpg
    141230091 ChobeA.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 141230050 ChobeA.jpg
    141230050 ChobeA.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 141230100 ChobeA.jpg
    141230100 ChobeA.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 141230103 ChobeA.jpg
    141230103 ChobeA.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 15
Thanks everyone and apologies for appearing to restrict my query to replies from Southern African experts only. Replies came from the UK, Russia, Germany, Sweden and Japan!

I'm happy with the ID now.

Cheers
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back