• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Singapore Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Androsnick

Birder on a budget
These are 3 shots of the same dragonfly, taken in Singapore in early October. Searching the internet has proved quite difficult as some have been incorrectly labelled. You can find something looking very similar to the photos attached but can't be sure that the allocated species name is correct. [A further search of the name given gives widely different photos - for example I found a photo which was labelled Wandering Glider - Pantala flavescens looking very similar, but searching Pantala flavescens then gave many photos which appear quite different, making me wonder if the dragonfly in the photo had been correctly identified - (not talking male vs female here!)
Any help would be appreciated, thank you
I have a couple of species I'd like to ID but I'll do them separately.

Attachments

• IMG_3920 bird forum.JPG
    IMG_3920 bird forum.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3923 bird forum.JPG
    IMG_3923 bird forum.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3926 bird forum.JPG
    IMG_3926 bird forum.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 5
Perhaps female Crocothemis servilia. Not a species I've seen but it looks very similar to fresh C.erythraea females that I've seen in europe.

Perhaps female Crocothemis servilia. Not a species I've seen but it looks very similar to fresh C.erythraea females that I've seen in europe.
Thanks Paul, that certainly looks like a good candidate (at least the majority of the internet photos look very similar), so I will leave it open for a while but this certainly looks good (that may also answer the next ID question I had, which now looks v similar to a male Crocothemis servilia!) Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back