• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with uploading pics (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I'm trying to upload some photos from my phone for ID purposes but every pic I try to upload from the attqchments icon, it says it's too big.

I've tried amending each pic but with no luck. Does anyone know what I can do?

They're just standard pics taken from a standard digital camera and transferred to my phone.

Thanks!!

Hi London1867

I don't have much experience of taking phone pics, but do you have a computer?

If so, transfer your pictures to that then you have some options depending on what system is on it.

Re-sizing Pictures:

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Window 8: Right click on the image and select Edit from the drop down. Then select Image from the menu in the Paint programme that opens. You can then type in the number of pixels for the longest side. I usually choose 900 but you can go up to 1032.

I use Paint.net (free) for basic editing. Then select Image > Resize. Type in 900 in the highlighted box and save. Then Save As (new name).

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

If you use a Mac, this page shows you how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/201638/use-your-macs-preview-app-to-crop-resize-rotate-and-edit-images/

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

All good advice there from Delia there :t:

But can I just suggest that Bird Forum maybe suggests to its web guys that adding a bit of coding to the image upload option which automatically adjusts photos to an acceptable image size, file format and file size too.

By doing this there would be no need for users to alter the images before uploading - and it would help newbies too.

Just a suggestion - keep up the great work :t:

Take a screenshot on your phone of the image you wish to upload - it wll be a few kilobytes only. Access Birdforum via your phone, select ‘manage attachments’ and select your re-sized image to upload, comment accordingly and it should do the trick - it does for me:t:

Laurie -

This is a very easy to use site, I've posted this before, under 'resize your piucture' select ' fit to screen size 800 resolution', dead simple.

https://picresize.com/

When done, select 'save to disk' to make sure you get it in your downloads.

But can I just suggest that Bird Forum maybe suggests to its web guys that adding a bit of coding to the image upload option which automatically adjusts photos to an acceptable image size, file format and file size too.

By doing this there would be no need for users to alter the images before uploading - and it would help newbies too.

Just a suggestion - keep up the great work :t:
That would be a very good idea! I'd post many more pics than I do if it weren't for the tedium of resizing them before posting. Most other websites I visit either accept photos in their full original size either as they are, or with automatic size reduction.

Also, if you do a "bulk upload" the three descriptions (when, where, equipment, location, environment, scientific name, free text description which can be a long story... etc etc) you've spent all that time entering are all replaced by the last one, meaning you have to go back and do it all again. I've definitely stopped posting so many pictures because it is a bit difficult, And that's after you've spent a fair amount of time resizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back