• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Woodpecker Id (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a red-bellied to me. The other small gray birds you're seeing might be juncos or nuthatches. Several kinds of small finches are possible in your yard in winter, but I haven't had any in mine yet. I did have Evening and Pine Grosbeaks though, keep your eyes open for those.

kriskend said:
Thanks for the list maybe this will help me id the two kinds of birds I have that I haven't identifyed yet. Both are small birds, one is very dark but not quite black and the other is a really light gray color. I will look for pictures of the ones on the list that I don't recoginize. Thanks again :)
Are the dark ones ground feeders? If they are then they are probably Dark-Eyed Juncos. Dark gray or brown with white bellies and a white bar down each side of the tail. The white tail feathers show best when the birds fly.
The light ones could be Chickadees, most likely Black-capped.

kriskend said:
No, I don't have anything :) I didn't even think I liked watching birds till I started feeding them a couple of weeks ago because I felt sorry for them. Now I think I am addicted. Didn't take long did it. After seeing my first Hairy woodpecker just a couple feet from my window I started surfing the net to figure out why one of my woodpeckers was twice the size of the others. That is how I figured out that Downy and Hairy woodpeckers are very similar except in size. Then I saw my mystery pecker, which I think must have been a red bellied and that is how I got started on this forum. I really have no idea what I am doing or what I am looking for but I have found a lot of information here. Thanks to everyone who has been helping me. Now how do I attract the large birds that everyone has on their lists? Or do people go out into the woods to find those? I don't think I have ever had an owl in my yard but I know I have heard them along with the coyotes at night.
Birding is terribly addictive. Beware!!!
What are you using as feed? If you want finch type birds, you should try putting out niger seed, you can buy pre-filled "socks" to hang out. Woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees appreciate suet and peanuts. Try to hang the suet in a feeder that makes it tough for the starlings and jays to get at it. The best alround feed - black-oil sunflower seed. Cornell University says it will attract almost every species of yard bird. I prefer to feed as many different feeds as possible in hope of attracting something different and because I enjoy doing it that way.

kriskend said:
Now how do I attract the large birds that everyone has on their lists? Or do people go out into the woods to find those? I don't think I have ever had an owl in my yard but I know I have heard them along with the coyotes at night.
Attracting large birds is tough. The activity around feeders and water sources tends to attract some kinds of hawks, here generally Sharp-shinned Hawks although three years ago I had an injured Gyrfalcon show up at my feeders, so you never know. If hawks like Sharp-shins show up, obviously they are there to eat your feeder birds for lunch. That's all part of the life cycle.
The only way that I know to attract owls is by putting up nest boxes or by not cutting down hollow trees. It's probably too late to put up owl nest boxes for this year, certainly for the bigger owls.
I have a pair of A. Kestrals that come back to the same nest box every year. Not really a big bird but not a yard bird either.
Ravens and A. Crows come to my platform feeder. I have had Ruffed Grouse and Ring-necked Pheasant come to the ground feeder. I have a friend who puts out bread and attacts a couple of gull species (I think he may also attract rats but I'm not sure).
Have fun!

snowyowl said:
Are the dark ones ground feeders? If they are then they are probably Dark-Eyed Juncos. Dark gray or brown with white bellies and a white bar down each side of the tail. The white tail feathers show best when the birds fly.
The light ones could be Chickadees, most likely Black-capped.

I think the dark ones are Dark-Eyed Juncos, but the light ones are not Chickadees. I have some of those too but they are easy to id. The light birds don't have any dark markings and they are a very soft gray color. They seem to be a little shy because they will sit in the tree and watch the sparrows, juncos, and chickadees but I haven't seen them actually eating out of the feeder.

Hello...this may be way out in left feild but how about a Common Flicker??? I live in Shippensburg Pennsylvania and I have 2 of them in my yard...I checked my reference book and they are in your area too!!?? Just a guess ....they do not have much white on them and some are grey in color! They also have a bright red spot on the back of their head. Well good luck !!!
Have a great day!!!
-------
crazybirdlady

kriskend said:
I think the dark ones are Dark-Eyed Juncos, but the light ones are not Chickadees. I have some of those too but they are easy to id. The light birds don't have any dark markings and they are a very soft gray color. They seem to be a little shy because they will sit in the tree and watch the sparrows, juncos, and chickadees but I haven't seen them actually eating out of the feeder.
The only thing that I can come up with from that description is Tufted Titmouse.
Do you see a crest of any kind on the head on the head? I've assumes sparrow size but is that accurate? Are they in a flock or single? Any other markings?
Your other approach could be to go to the Cornell University site and browse the on-line field guide. It's at: -http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/
If you go that route, then please let me know what you decide that it is because you've got me very curious. If you want more suggestions that's fine too.

snowyowl said:
The only thing that I can come up with from that description is Tufted Titmouse.
Do you see a crest of any kind on the head on the head? I've assumes sparrow size but is that accurate? Are they in a flock or single? Any other markings?
Your other approach could be to go to the Cornell University site and browse the on-line field guide. It's at: -http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/
If you go that route, then please let me know what you decide that it is because you've got me very curious. If you want more suggestions that's fine too.

Yeah sparrow size is correct. I will look at the field guide and see if I can find it. I only had the pair of them and they seemed to stick together.

That would be pushing the northern range of Tufted Titmouse, but it's not impossible. I was thinking shrike, but they have an obvious black mask and are usually in singles, not pairs. Hmm, gray birds... Lingering catbird? Mourning dove? non-breeding goldfinch? pine grosbeak? Many of these are bigger than sparrows.

If only I didn't have to work! I want to be home watching for them to come back. I have looked at so many pictures now that I don't know if I remember the birds or the pictures. I think they looked a bit like the catbird at least in shape.

kriskend said:
If only I didn't have to work! I want to be home watching for them to come back. I have looked at so many pictures now that I don't know if I remember the birds or the pictures. I think they looked a bit like the catbird at least in shape.

I am going to have to see them again if I want to figure out what they are. Now that I have some ideas as to what features I need to look for.

Strix said:
That would be pushing the northern range of Tufted Titmouse, but it's not impossible. I was thinking shrike, but they have an obvious black mask and are usually in singles, not pairs. Hmm, gray birds... Lingering catbird? Mourning dove? non-breeding goldfinch? pine grosbeak? Many of these are bigger than sparrows.
I agree about he range but when I use the identifier function of Cornell's Guide to Birds of North America and put Wisconsin in as location Tufted Titmouse is one of the possibilties that comes up.

snowyowl said:
I agree about he range but when I use the identifier function of Cornell's Guide to Birds of North America and put Wisconsin in as location Tufted Titmouse is one of the possibilties that comes up.

Well I finally got myself a field guide and was able to work from home today. I haven't seen my gray birds yet, but from the pictures in my field guide I think Tufted Titmouse just might be it. My WI field guide lists them as possiblity for my area. The good news is that I have identified my mystery woodpecker. I got a much closer look at him this morning and he is much larger than I thought at first. Turns out my original description was horrible. He is actually black not gray and has no white spots on his back, but does have them on the sides of his head. He really has been making a mess of my tree. I already know what he is, but I thought I would give everyone a chance to change their answer now that I have better information.

Wow, did you get a pileated? that's great! You could have multiple woodpeckers around; your original description could be from another woodpecker. I guess you are within range for tufted titmouse, but i don't think they're too common, so that's exciting that you found some. I lived south of minneapolis for 4 years and have never seen one.

Strix said:
Wow, did you get a pileated? that's great! You could have multiple woodpeckers around; your original description could be from another woodpecker. I guess you are within range for tufted titmouse, but i don't think they're too common, so that's exciting that you found some. I lived south of minneapolis for 4 years and have never seen one.

Yep my first pileated. I think he has been around for a while because the bark is torn off of a alot of my tree and I could not figure out how the Downys and Hairys were doing that much damage but after watching the Pileated I know. I am on the look out for my gray birds. I think I should be able to nail it down if they will just come back.

kriskend said:
Yep my first pileated. I think he has been around for a while because the bark is torn off of a alot of my tree and I could not figure out how the Downys and Hairys were doing that much damage but after watching the Pileated I know. I am on the look out for my gray birds. I think I should be able to nail it down if they will just come back.

Congrats on your first pileated! Also, rest assured, the hairy and downy woodpeckers can do major bark-shredding of trees. We've got an 80' ponderosa pine whose top third on one side is stripped of bark thanks to a pair of hairys (hairies?). :) It's one of the trees that's already dying, so I would guess the birds were after the bark beetles.

Keeping my fingers crossed your gray bird is a tufted titmouse.

kriskend said:
Well I finally got myself a field guide and was able to work from home today. I haven't seen my gray birds yet, but from the pictures in my field guide I think Tufted Titmouse just might be it. My WI field guide lists them as possiblity for my area. The good news is that I have identified my mystery woodpecker. I got a much closer look at him this morning and he is much larger than I thought at first. Turns out my original description was horrible. He is actually black not gray and has no white spots on his back, but does have them on the sides of his head. He really has been making a mess of my tree. I already know what he is, but I thought I would give everyone a chance to change their answer now that I have better information.
That doesn't sound like a Pileated. The red head is pretty obvious as is the very large size but you didn't mention either things it in your description. From your description and your comment about bark being stripped off of the trees, I'd suggest that you may have a Black-backed Woodpecker. I'm not sure how common they are in your area, here we are always very pleased to see one. They are a very tough bird because they always seem to be able to stay on the side of the tree away from you.

snowyowl said:
That doesn't sound like a Pileated. The red head is pretty obvious as is the very large size but you didn't mention either things it in your description. From your description and your comment about bark being stripped off of the trees, I'd suggest that you may have a Black-backed Woodpecker. I'm not sure how common they are in your area, here we are always very pleased to see one. They are a very tough bird because they always seem to be able to stay on the side of the tree away from you.

Yeah I didn't mention the red head this time, but it was very obvious. I wanted to leave a little mystery in it :). The red crest and enormous size were obvious yesterday, but a few individuals have me second guessing whether or not the first woodpecker and the Pileated that I saw yesterday are one in the same. Especially since I caught a glimpse of a woodpecker on a far away tree yesterday that didn't look like my Pileated. He was very good at staying on the other side of the tree. As for my little gray birds, I haven't seen them since but I am really hoping for them to be a Titmouse.

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back