• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (1 Viewer)

Thanks joe101,

Perhaps my dry sense of humour is not understood by some people - although it seems to be by the people I work with occasionally !!

I always try to help people on this forum but as Paul said "why bother"

By the way joe...we have 10x42 HTs in the UK at the moment and I hear a rumour (from a colleague - please note) that some 8x42HTs have just landed)

Gary.

NB. anything said in this post is not to be construed as offensive or derogatory in any way !!!!!!!!
:-O

Last edited:
Thanks joe101,

Perhaps my dry sense of humour is not understood by some people - although it seems to be by the people I work with occasionally !!

I always try to help people on this forum but as Paul said "why bother"

By the way joe...we have 10x42 HDs in the UK at the moment and I hear a rumour (from a colleague - please note) that some 8x42HDs have just landed)

Gary.

NB. anything said in this post is not to be construed as offensive or derogatory in any way !!!!!!!!
:-O

HDs or HTs ?

So was I reading the situation right ?

Last edited:
Dear Paul Hackett

I responded to Gary's question in the way it was asked.
The source of the information was from a Zeiss employee who knows his stuff.

You say you used to be a Zeiss employee ? Perhaps the fact that you no longer are is a good thing as your patronising, arrogant tone is perhaps not suited to dealing with non-zeiss employee's.

That said I welcome Gary's input to the forum and hope it continues. I know Gary from his time at Leica and respect his opinion. I would hope a candid exchange of views with him wouldn't be taken personally.

P.S Focus optics have a pair of 8x42 HT's and Viking have two pairs of 10x42 HT's. Whoops, perhaps I shouldn't know this as I don't work for Zeiss.

Tim

Dear Paul Hackett

I responded to Gary's question in the way it was asked.
The source of the information was from a Zeiss employee who knows his stuff.

You say you used to be a Zeiss employee ? Perhaps the fact that you no longer are is a good thing as your patronising, arrogant tone is perhaps not suited to dealing with non-zeiss employee's.

That said I welcome Gary's input to the forum and hope it continues. I know Gary from his time at Leica and respect his opinion. I would hope a candid exchange of views with him wouldn't be taken personally.

P.S Focus optics have a pair of 8x42 HT's and Viking have two pairs of 10x42 HT's. Whoops, perhaps I shouldn't know this as I don't work for Zeiss.

Tim

Dear Tim

Gary told you that it was 3 suppliers not 6? To keep quoting the zeiss employee you know but can't name? It's all a bit cloak and dagger, do you not think that this section of BF is not monitored by Zeiss? Your talking in hearsay not a proven fact, a little straight talking goes a long way in my book, instead of going round the houses. Just be honest.............

For the record, still love the 8 x32FL I had, and now have 8 x 42 FL

Paul

Hi Paul

Let's be friends.

The person who supplied me with the info will remain anonymous, as I stick to my word.

The Zeiss HT's have landed in the Uk !
Let us all look forward to getting our hands on pair.

Tim

Dear Paul,

I think you had misread the situation; don't you think you should do something like lets say an apology ? As stated by you "a little manners cost nothing in my book, I respectively suggest you do the same." . And just to let you know sometimes enthusiast maybe able to get some info first even before all Zeiss employees , I have encountered that before . I found your tone here condescending and why did you insult David(Typo) out of no where; when he was just trying to help .
I think is awfully big of Tic to let this go . Let us keep this forum friendly and amiable.

Last edited:
Hi eddy,

I gave you MY first impressions. Including a side by side comparition with the Swarovski Swarovision. Both in 10x42. I think ORYX (Barcelon) got one of the first (if not the first...) to reach Spain. When I ask the owner for one he got me it next day. Really I was determined to buy it. But luckily (or un-luckily...) I tried side by side with THAT S.Swvision...The difference was more than € 400: € 2280 the Swaro vs. 1850 the HT. With the Tax Free return (around 10%) the price for the HT was very good, even in €. But being, for me, so good that Swarovision, I let pass THAT HT and continue with my FL.

Best Regards!

PHA

Thank you PHA,but I did say has anyone bought one yet,lots of people have handled them at bird fairs etc but has anyone laid out the moneyand used a pair for actual birding that is what I was trying to determine.How about you Troubador? Eddy.

Dear Paul,

I think you had misread the situation; don't you think you should do something like lets say an apology ? As stated by you "a little manners cost nothing in my book, I respectively suggest you do the same." . And just to let you know sometimes enthusiast maybe able to get some info first even before all Zeiss employees , I have encountered that before . I found your tone here condescending and why did you insult David(Typo) out of no where; when he was just trying to help .
I think is awfully big of Tic to let this go . Let us keep this forum friendly and amiable.

A little straight talking joe, someone says something, you take it on face value? Someone says I have a "spy in the camp" and points it out a number of times, despite the fact that when asked the name, he won't, despite the fact that zeiss do monitor this thread, what does that say about that person? Is it true / false? He wants brownie points? Gary came on and verified he wasnt correct about, now, if you we're in Gary's shoes and had to be diplomatic because you had to?

We can label it banter, but it's like oneupmanship, why? And as I said why bother, and gary agreed,

Regarding any info getting out to enthusiasts before employees, please be under no illusion, that in my experience, only information deemed to be let out to the public "filters through" it's called good business practice,

I would have liked some honesty about it, tic doesnt want to take it any further, so fine by me.

If the likes of Gary cut ties here, would you really be worse off, or just not be in the know? As it is a good source of info you would agree and replied to on a regular basis. Do I think it's a good thing? Yes if people keep to the plot, win win for everybody

That's honest talking gents:)

Paul

HT Light Transmission Graph

I heard from Zeiss about my request for a light transmission graph on the HT's. Stephen Ingraham sent me an email. He said that AFAHK, Zeiss has not officially published any light transmission graphs for the HTs or FLs.

He also said that since there are no international standards for measuring light transmission in bins, transmission graphs published by optics companies can be misleading, which is why optics companies don't publish them (actually, Nikon does).

I will write him back and direct him to allbinos's FL light transmission graph and ask him to stay tuned, because when Arek reviews the HTs, he will have a graph on at least one HT model. Then BF members and Ingraham can compare the FL's and HT's light transmission curves. As to his graphs' accuracy, some experts other than Ingraham have cast doubt (though that doubt seems to be more about their peak percentage rather than the overall shape of the curve).

Since they are all we have to go on, at least it gives us something to compare. I'm personally more interested in the color balance than I am in the peak value of the curve. All top guns have 90% or more light transmission at this point, I don't think a few percentage points one way or the other makes that much difference whereas boosting of dropping a part of the spectrum would be noticeable and something that would cause me to choose one bin over the other.

I hope Zeiss boosted the red in the HTs instead of a steep fall off in the red like the FL's. Some like it "cool," I like it "warm".

<B>

Last edited:
A little straight talking joe, someone says something, you take it on face value? Someone says I have a "spy in the camp" and points it out a number of times, despite the fact that when asked the name, he won't, despite the fact that zeiss do monitor this thread, what does that say about that person? Is it true / false? He wants brownie points? Gary came on and verified he wasnt correct about, now, if you we're in Gary's shoes and had to be diplomatic because you had to?

We can label it banter, but it's like oneupmanship, why? And as I said why bother, and gary agreed,

Regarding any info getting out to enthusiasts before employees, please be under no illusion, that in my experience, only information deemed to be let out to the public "filters through" it's called good business practice,

I would have liked some honesty about it, tic doesnt want to take it any further, so fine by me.

If the likes of Gary cut ties here, would you really be worse off, or just not be in the know? As it is a good source of info you would agree and replied to on a regular basis. Do I think it's a good thing? Yes if people keep to the plot, win win for everybody

That's honest talking gents:)

Paul

You know what Paul, I give up ! You win
No point saying anything sane more.

Last edited:
Hi Joe

Yep, I think its best if you do give up Joe. There's some people in this world who expect manners from others, but don't actually display any themselves.
I've tried to call a truce with Paul but the insults keep coming.

What a blessing that Paul Hackett no longer works for Zeiss and let's feel sorry for his current employers, if he has any ?

Sadly for Paul, he's inadvertently shown us all on the forum what sort of person he is.

Do us all a favour in future, "Paul Hackett," and keep your contemptuous opinions to yourself.

Cheers Tim

P.S Bath London Camera exchange have a pair of 10x42 HT's if anyone interested.

Gentlemen

Well, I go away for a couple of weeks and what happens? All sorts of folks getting needled and upset and annoyed.

Moving swiftly on to my news:

My HT 8x42s have arrived at the dealers and I expect to pick them up on Wednesday of this week :)

In the meantime guys, stay cool, please.....

Lee

Tim

Last reply

I called your bluff, you wouldn't/couldn't reply, i have had a number of texts /emails on this from within the industry and others, so I am not on my own with my point of view, again, a bit of straight talkin would have concluded this way back Tim,

Back to the HTs :)

cheers

Paul

Hi Joe

Yep, I think its best if you do give up Joe. There's some people in this world who expect manners from others, but don't actually display any themselves.
I've tried to call a truce with Paul but the insults keep coming.

What a blessing that Paul Hackett no longer works for Zeiss and let's feel sorry for his current employers, if he has any ?

Sadly for Paul, he's inadvertently shown us all on the forum what sort of person he is.

Do us all a favour in future, "Paul Hackett," and keep your contemptuous opinions to yourself.

Cheers Tim

P.S Bath London Camera exchange have a pair of 10x42 HT's if anyone interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back