• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herefordshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Espen

Meant to post a herefordshire birding thread for a long time now,

so here goes...

here is where i will list my sightings for herefordshire, anyone elses contributions are welcome,

here are a few places that are good for birding in herefordshire,
  1. My (relatively)local patch, wellington GPs(good overall/mainly water birds, i had 1 smew, 14 goldeneye, pintail, gadwall etc last winter, recently purple heron and marsh harrier reported recently i saw 2 red kite circling over the other day also 1 smew in winter and 14 goldeneye, scarcer grebes and divers, i had 1 temminks stint this may and also plenty of both yellow and white wagtail)
  2. Brockhall GPs (good overall/mainly water birds(1 great skua and scarce grebes in winter)
  3. Hereford quarry(good overall/mainly water birds)
  4. Lugg meadows(good overall/meadow/river birds, also dragonflys, floods in winter so attractind winter wildfowl, i recently had lesser whitethroat and last sprin i had a osprey over north)
  5. Bodenham lake(good overall/ mainly water birds)
  6. Herefordshire side of Black mountains(moorland birds: ring ouzel, red grouse, and black redstarts)
  7. Hough woods(woodland birds, also butterflys)
  8. Hereford city center/cathedrel(peregrine, black redstart in winter for the last few years)
  9. bircher common( common/heath, great greyshrike in winter, tree pipit/ woodlark posible)

another good county bird was the recent rf falcon at ledbury cricket pitch, which relocated to derbyshire

ok, here is the first set of sightings from 23rd of june, wellington gps,
21:00

light cloud, muggy

1 poss purple heron in flight in fading light.
2 red kite
2 grey heron
2 oystercatcher
several song thrush, several whitethroat
1 sedge warbler

24th of june, wellington gps, 18:00

light cloud, warm

5+ willow w
1 recently fledged wren
2 pied wtails
4+ whitethroat+ bringing food to nest
1 kes
4 lapwing
6 reed bunt
several lt tit
1 male cuckoo(heard only)

cheers

Espen:t:

here are some pics of the best birds and i chucked in 1 of the sand martin nest site at wellington last spring, sadly it disapeared in winter(it's an active GPs.) so they must have found some other place to nest:

Attachments

• red-footed-falcon2.jpg
    red-footed-falcon2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 158
  • temminks-stint1.jpg
    temminks-stint1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 169
  • osprey1.jpg
    osprey1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 153
  • sand-mart1.jpg
    sand-mart1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 167
wellington gps, 9th july,overcast/humid,later on sunny.17:10to19-15

1 stock dove
2 juve buzzard
15 lapwing
1 LR plover
100 LBBG
2 oystercatcher
5 common sandpiper
1 dunlin
5 juve pied wagtail plus 1 ad
2 GCG
200+ sand martin
100+ swift
several swallow
several house martin
1 reed warbler

cheers

espen

wellington GPs 16th july, 15:50-17:20

sunny/cloudy

1 common sandpiper
10 pied wagtail
200+ sand martin
50+ swift
1 house martin
2 swallow
5 grey heron
3 green woodpecker
2 reed bunting
10 juve whitethroat + 3 adult
1 goldfinch
2 reed warbler
3 sedge warbler
8 lbb gull

cheers

espen

hi Espen,
i'm born and raised in Hereford and my parents still live in the county so looking forward to reading some sightings. Last week i saw several fledgling redstarts and lesser whitethroats along the river lugg just south of the bridge under repair near wellington GPs.
cheers,
James

hi Espen,
i'm born and raised in Hereford and my parents still live in the county so looking forward to reading some sightings. Last week i saw several fledgling redstarts and lesser whitethroats along the river lugg just south of the bridge under repair near wellington GPs.
cheers,
James

cool

do you bird in the county regularly?

Hi Espen,
no not really, but i do go out for walks with my bins when i visit my mum. She used to live in the centre of Hereford and i would often walk round the perimeter of hereford sewage works - on one of my last visits i found herefordshire's first yellow-browed warbler! don't know if you caught up with it?
Mum moved to Marden two years ago though so maybe i'll start having a look at the GPs when i'm visiting.
cheers,
James

oh cool, no i didn't catch up with it(i hadn't started birding at that time), give me a pm next time you're up and we could go for a walk at the gp's:t:

wellington GPs,
8th of august
14:10-16.00
*1 ad fem garganey
2 cormorant
2 wigeon
2 grey heron
1 juve little egret
4 swift
33 mute swan
2 shoveler
100+ sand martin

record shot of the garganey...

Attachments

• garganay.jpg
    garganay.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 150
sat 15th oct 2011

clear cold 10c

16:30- 18:15

200+LBB gull
100+BH gull
2 common gull
1 sparrow hawk
3 redwing
10 wigeon(in flock possibly containing A wigeon)
2 green woodpecker(1 anting)
1 robin
loads of blackbirds(probably some continental blackbirds)
several blue tit and several chaffinch

today, at approx. 15:30 i found at least one waxwing on the corner between church rd and hampton dene rd, could this be the start of the 2nd consecutive waxwing invasion year, with only one year inbetween the other one!?B :)

Last edited:
1 goldcrest showed very well in a large hedge on hafod/ledbury rd junction, a bird i haven't seen this far into hereford before!

bodenham lake

26th december

1 american wigeon

30+ eurasian wigeon

1 teal

4 mute swan

100+ canada geese

1 feral greylag type

20+ cormorant

1 grey heron

1 kingfisher

1 kestrel

4 goldeneye

2 goosander

bodenham lake

28th december

1 american wigeon

40 eurasian wigeon

2 mute swan

30+ canada geese

1 feral greylag type

30+ cormorant

1 grey heron

6 goldeneye

6 goosander

5 siskin

20+ blackbird

2 robin

2 buzzard

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back