• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hermit or Swainson's Thrush - Northern Ohio, USA (1 Viewer)

OhioHick

Supporter
United States
I spotted this bird this morning while walking through a local nature preserve (northern Ohio, about 25 miles south of Cleveland near Medina). I figured it was Hermit Thrush , but what do I know. The app I use for identifying critters and plants (Seek) thought differently, stating it was a Swainson's Thrush. OK, I can see that as well. While technology is a wonderful thing, I'll rely on the collective wisdom of this forum. What say ye?

2021_05 (251)_edit01.jpg

Your app is very good.

It doesn't help that the light is dim, but we can see some buffiness on the face, which is good for Swainson's. More to the point, we can NOT see any extra reddishness on the wings or tail, and even though most of the tail is blocked, we should see some on a Hermit. So Swainson's for me, though I could change my mind if there's another photo.

I spotted this bird this morning while walking through a local nature preserve (northern Ohio, about 25 miles south of Cleveland near Medina). I figured it was Hermit Thrush , but what do I know. The app I use for identifying critters and plants (Seek) thought differently, stating it was a Swainson's Thrush. OK, I can see that as well. While technology is a wonderful thing, I'll rely on the collective wisdom of this forum. What say ye?

View attachment 1386889
It looks like a Swainson's Thrush to me, notice the buffy face and lack of reddish tones anywhere. I also believe it's too late for Hermit Thrush, unless one is nesting and that would be rare. That said, never rely on an app over a good old field guide (like Sibley), and your own brain to figure it out. Apps can be very useful, but don't take them as gospel.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back