Hermit Thrush??

searobin

This is most likely the only Thrush I should expect in New Jersey in January but shouldn't the spots on its chest be much bolder?

maybe Swainson's?

Attachments

• IMG_8521_2.jpg
    IMG_8521_2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 173

Wan2caTanager

It looks like a Hermit Thrush to me. I could be wrong, but I think the reason why the spots on the chest aren't bolder is because the thrushes feathers are all fluffed up. |=)|

lassa8

Could the light spotting make it a Veery? There have been reports of Veerys within the past week or so in central NY.

cavan wood

Tail appears redder than back, but angle is tough. The eye ring is bold, but seems more white than buff. The spots are large, rather than fine like the veery. There's only a little buff in the breast. I'd say hermit.

searobin

cavan wood said:
Tail appears redder than back, but angle is tough. The eye ring is bold, but seems more white than buff. The spots are large, rather than fine like the veery. There's only a little buff in the breast. I'd say hermit.

One more pic:

Attachments

• IMG_8504.JPG
    IMG_8504.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 145

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Defintitly a Hermit Thrush.

A Veery has very little spotting, practically none, and its whole back is rich rufous. Swainson's is very dull olive-drab, with a buffy face.

Last of all, Hermit Thrush is the only thrush to be found in this area in the winter. Swainson's and all the other thrushes are exceedingly rare after about October 15th.