• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Heron. Dominican Republic (1 Viewer)

testoduro

The funny plumage between juvenile and adult that doesn't seem to get seen/photographed much.
Thanks, Niels and Butty. Indeed, its plain plumage lacks spots or streaks. That's what made me doubt.
I don't remember ever seeing a European BCNH look like that.

Butty

I don't remember ever seeing a European BCNH look like that.
I've long found this plumage puzzling - and, thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen it, or seen a photo of it, in Europe (or even in the Old World??). I could easily be wrong, and would welcome views.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I've long found this plumage puzzling - and, thinking about it, I don't think I've ever seen it, or seen a photo of it, in Europe (or even in the Old World??). I could easily be wrong, and would welcome views.
I cannot say anything about Europe (next to no experience with them there), but the intermediate plumage is depicted in both of my US field guides. Something similar but more streaked is shown in Collins App for Europe

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread