• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring Gull or Vega Gull or just an Oly Gull (1 Viewer)

SnoHoCo

United States
I was birding around Semiahmoo Spit last weekend (western Washington, close to the Canadian border). Like many of you do, I was photographing birds for later positive ID. I took a picture of this gull, which I assumed was our usual Olympic Gull, a hybrid of GWGU and WEGU. The Olympic Gull is the most common large Larus gull seen around Puget Sound and the Salish Sea. I posted it to iNaturalist and one person suggested it was a Herring Gull based on the significant head and neck streakiness and the darker wingtips. Friends suggested it could be a Vega Gull. Soliciting opinions here. Thanks so much!

Slaty-backed Gull? I would suggest too dark for Herring/Vega. Large white tertial crescent and just a hint of bright pink legs look better fit for Slaty-backed.

Slaty-backed Gull? I would suggest too dark for Herring/Vega. Large white tertial crescent and just a hint of bright pink legs look better fit for Slaty-backed.
Thank you! Slaty-backed seems the better fit, especially the large white tertial crescent. Slaty-backed even less common here than Herring, as I look on eBird. The head and neck streaking looks so heavy, though.

I really don't buy this as a Slaty-backed Gull, or any of the other possible vagrant contenders mentioned. I haven't seen an 'Olympic Gull', but the head structure, dark iris etc seem very reminiscent of Glaucous-winged Gull, plus the upperparts and primaries are too dark for that species. My only question, then, would be whether or not the head streaking could be shown by something from within that particular hybrid combination?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back