• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring gull? Spain (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Hi, this bird has appeared in the river of Madrid. Do you think it is a Herring Gull? HGs are very rare in central Spain, whereas Lesser Black-Backed Gulls abound.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Argentea 4.jpg
    Argentea 4.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • Argentea 3.jpg
    Argentea 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
Happy to be corrected, as allways with large Gulls.
Is this the same bird, it seems to differ at least in pattern of greater coverts and tertials?
I just comment on the second picure (=second bird?) Because, in this, I see nothing wrong for the default species, a 1 winter Yellow-legged Gull (2 cy, if taken in january 2021).
Its hard to be certain with picture quality seems to obscure/fade out the relevant details, but:
  • quite dark greater coverts fading into a more variagated pattern
  • dark tertials with just the right pale unnnotched margins
-all dark bill in a good shape
-pale head with pattering around eye, reaching to the neck
-the right dark grey mantle and the right dark centers to mantle feathers

Everything SEEMS to be there. Yes, I know this cant be judged with 100% confidence here, but it fits the default species so well, that it seems an idable YLG to me, even with such a unsharp picture (no offense!)

If first bird is a different individual and the appearant appearance is real, this is a harder picture, and I would learn from the experts here:
- long, slender bill with drawn out head-profile
-ginger washed out neck-band
-extensive pale, whitish creater coverts with just a few dark markings
pale grey mantle with narrow shaft streaks (=cachinnans-pattern). But this seems extremly hard to tell, and I get the impression, thsat this pattern is a result of picture quality and artefacts.
paler tertials compared to the second picture with wider pale edges.

Conclusion? First bird is an "experts, please help-Gull", at least to me. Second, if its different, is an IDable 1-winter YLG to me.

This is likely the same bird. Picture taken by another watcher at a different time in a closeby location.

Attachments

• IMG-20210107-WA0018 (1).jpg
    IMG-20210107-WA0018 (1).jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 17
all birds depicted are 1st winter Larus michahellis. most things which alexander wrote are correct and worth considering, but there's a lot of variation so, some herring gulls virtually can look identic to some yellow-legged gulls in first winter. but not these. actually you rather have to separate them from the abundant Lesser Black-backed Gulls wintering in the area, which often is not that straightfort. as for the blurry shots in the fisrt post i can't guarantee they're not Larus fuscus.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back