• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Herring Gull with all dark eye (1 Viewer)

GMS

I came across a presumed 4cy Herring Gull with an all dark eye today. This is a known occurrence and in the Olsen book it gives a frequency of <1 in 5000 in a scandinavian sample area. Does anyone have some more/additional/newer data on this?

Dean Nicholson

Cloacal Protuberant.
I came across a presumed 4cy Herring Gull with an all dark eye today. This is a known occurrence and in the Olsen book it gives a frequency of <1 in 5000 in a scandinavian sample area. Does anyone have some more/additional/newer data on this?
Hi,

I've been seeing adult/sub-adult Herrings with dark iris's in small numbers over the years... some may or may not contain Caspian genes but these 3 were typical argenteus Herrings apart from eye colour....

Cheers
Dean

Attachments

• dark eyed ad-Kirkby(small).JPG
    dark eyed ad-Kirkby(small).JPG
    741.3 KB · Views: 13
  • dark eyed adult-Scarboro (small).JPG
    dark eyed adult-Scarboro (small).JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • dark iris, adult, Mablethorpe (small).JPG
    dark iris, adult, Mablethorpe (small).JPG
    944 KB · Views: 13