• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring or Glaucous in Aberaeron (1 Viewer)

Hi
Sorry for shocking pic quality from mobile phone. Any views on whether this bird is leucistic Herring or possible Glaucous or hybrid of some kind? Aberaeron harbour 10am this morning.
Thanks
Helen

Attachments

• 95CCBE4C-F1ED-47C9-A318-CD407D323719.jpeg
    95CCBE4C-F1ED-47C9-A318-CD407D323719.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 193
Morning Helen! Hope you're having a nice holiday. I'd have to say this is a bit tricky from the photo. It might be easier to say from a description, particularly of the bill colour and pattern.

You do surprise me - I thought it was a very fine photo, along the lines of your earlier efforts. The bill colour matched the bills of the various adult Herring Gulls in the harbour ie yellow with a lower red dot and it didn’t look noticeably heavier than the Herrings (although obvs they were all giving the weirdo a wide berth so it was hard to compare).

The plumage was almost uniformly white with maybe just the tiniest hint of colour on the wings.

And yes, thanks, lovely holiday - very nice place.

You do surprise me - I thought it was a very fine photo, along the lines of your earlier efforts. The bill colour matched the bills of the various adult Herring Gulls in the harbour ie yellow with a lower red dot and it didn’t look noticeably heavier than the Herrings (although obvs they were all giving the weirdo a wide berth so it was hard to compare).

The plumage was almost uniformly white with maybe just the tiniest hint of colour on the wings.

And yes, thanks, lovely holiday - very nice place.

Hey, I'm great at photos these days ;). Yours is... atmospheric.

That sounds like a leucistic Herring Gull. There used to be one in Torry that looked like what you describe. It was white but with a typical adult Herring Gull bill. A 'white' looking Glaucous or Iceland will be an immature with an immature (pinkish and blackish without a red spot) bill. Leucistic Herring Gulls also tend to be darkest on the primaries (e.g. pale brownish) whereas Glaucous/Iceland Gulls are normally palest on the primaries.

I was definitely giving credit to your improvement there. :)

Thanks, that sounds right then, no holiday Glaucous for me.

PS if you think that pic is bad you should see this morning’s dolphin pics.

PPS It’s very embarrassing to notice I haven’t given Birdforum any money since 2007. I hope Steve isn’t looking.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I should be the one to point out that the pixel count on this image is so small that it is very difficult to see enough details.

Niels

I was definitely giving credit to your improvement there. :)

Thanks, that sounds right then, no holiday Glaucous for me.

PS if you think that pic is bad you should see this morning’s dolphin pics.

PPS It’s very embarrassing to notice I haven’t given Birdforum any money since 2007. I hope Steve isn’t looking.

Please post the dolphin pics. We can compare.

Hi Helen.... great to see you lass, and enjoying yourself in West Wales too!!

Is this your annual visit to BF???;)

Yeah... let's see the dolphins... can't be any worse than that gull, surely?:-O

It looks like you decreased the size/resolution of the whole photo rather than cropping it to upload it. If the original is even a typical smartphone camera file size, the gull might well be identifiable if you keep it at original resolution and crop to just an immediate frame around the bird...

Hi Helen.... great to see you lass, and enjoying yourself in West Wales too!!

Is this your annual visit to BF???;)

Yeah... let's see the dolphins... can't be any worse than that gull, surely?:-O

Hi Delia
Hope all is well with you.
I believe the Dolphin pic is so bad it could even be a partially submerged Glaucous Gull - see what you think. :)

Attachments

• C308BA48-D057-4856-8049-6AC2F2ABE4D5.jpeg
    C308BA48-D057-4856-8049-6AC2F2ABE4D5.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
It looks like you decreased the size/resolution of the whole photo rather than cropping it to upload it. If the original is even a typical smartphone camera file size, the gull might well be identifiable if you keep it at original resolution and crop to just an immediate frame around the bird...

Thanks - good point - I did indeed reduce the size to meet BF’s requirements. I’ll crop and re-add but I think Dr W is right anyway.

Having cropped it, I don’t think this helps much but for what it’s worth, here it is.

Attachments

• 5153CD98-3658-4EA0-8F29-A5892595B254.jpeg
    5153CD98-3658-4EA0-8F29-A5892595B254.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi Delia
Hope all is well with you.
I believe the Dolphin pic is so bad it could even be a partially submerged Glaucous Gull - see what you think. :)

Ha, ha!! Between cataracts and a dirty screen I'm struggling to see anything!!

I'll clean the screen and get my bins out in the morning and have another look Helen!

Having cropped it, I don’t think this helps much but for what it’s worth, here it is.

Yes it is a gull o:D

I think I will support Andrew in saying that the description might be worth more in this instance, and I support his conclusion :t:

(not that it matters much what I think regarding the id, I have next to no gull experience for maybe 20 years, seeing only Laughing Gulls where I live.

Niels

Hi HelenElizabeth2! I think it's a fine photo of a gull, whatever type. Wndered where you'd been, I still occasionally use your cleyspy scope carrier!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back