• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi all (1 Viewer)

beaubrummell

Hi

I switched from metal detecting to bird watching about 6 months ago as I was always taking detecting breaks to take off my headphones and actually take in the sights and sounds of the wildlife all around me.

As a complete novice I bought a cheap pair of binoculars made by a company called Qunse. They are 8x32 and specs are as follows:-

model: QUNSE-X21
Magnification: 8x32
Caliber of object lens: 32mm
Diameter of ocular: 16mm
Material of prism: BAK4
Exit pupil diameter: 4mm
Exit pupil distance: 13mm
Ocular coating: FMC
Object lens coating: FMC
Focusing system: Central Focusing
Water resistant and fog resistant: yes
Net weight of telescope: 440g
Dimension of telescope: 119x119x45mm

These are the first binoculars I have ever owned and I thought they were great (I had nothing to compare them to). Now having got the birding bug I thought I'd spoil myself and get a better quality pair. After a fair bit of research I went for the Viking ED FF 8x42 and I have to say I'm staggered at the difference. The Vikings are heavy at 850g but they seem well balanced and after several hours of birding I didn't feel fatigued at all. The view is crystal clear and the colours are sharp and bright.

I dare not look through a top of the range pair of bins as I'd probably be equally stunned by the still further improvement in optics.

I've been visiting this forum for a few months and I'm amazed at the depth of technical knowledge a lot of you chaps possess.

Cheers

Rob

Hi there beau and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi Rob and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

You're very wise... don't be tempted to look through the high end bins or scopes, until/unless you think you can afford them. Don't let your fingers itch;)

They are beautiful, aren't they. I saw one last week, flew up into a tree. But by the time I'd found the branch he was on a focused the camera...... no longer to be seen!!!

Story of my life!

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join in, I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back