• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi everybody, (1 Viewer)

Milan

I've been following this wonderful site for some time now and just want to say HI to you all from New Mexico, USA.

I've been always interested in birds and wildlife. But it was kind of casual interest. Taking pictures with my camera when there was some interesting creature around. But this year in January I made a short 2 day trip with my family to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Resuge (near Soccoro, in New Mexico) and guess what I got hooked up to birdwatching!

The morning flyout of snow geese, the noisy Sandhill cranes that was so impressive!

Anyway I just want to say hi to all of you in this great place.

P.S I've uploded my first image to the gallery too just few minutes ago.

Have a nice weekend

Milan

Welcome Milan, glad you have decided to join us. Look forward to hearing about the birds of New Mexico and looking at your pictures.

Welcome to this top ranking site and I like your gull picture. I like gulls and would love to tick that one off.

Oh, Bosque del Apache!

I've heard for years how wonderful that place is, and it's very high on my list on places I want to visit someday!

I once heard the photographer Arthur Morris give a talk about bird photography, and he calls Bosque one of his favorite places. He's taken some incredible photos there. You could check out his stuff at

www.birdsasart.com

New Mexico is a wondrous places -- I visited there once in the early 70s, and have always longed to go back. I remember an incredible view from some small country road we took up into the Jemez Mountains (NW of Jemez Springs, perhaps?), where we stopped and looked into the valley that is actually the collapsed cauldra (sp) of the volcano that created that area. Whew! There was what seemed to be a miniature ranch out in the middle, then realized it was miles and miles away through incredibly clear mountain air.

And the view down to White Sands coming down from the pine forests near Cloudcroft where we had spent the night camping and sleeping atop a deep mattress of pine needles. Then picking our way across the incredibly hot and truly white sand of White Sands National Monument (it was June).

And the incredible landscapes formed by lava flows at Valley of Fire State Park near Carrizozo.

I just loved New Mexico, can you tell? And darn it, I wasn't a birder then!

Hi, Milan, and welcome! You're right next door to me, and I love the Bosque. Have you been to see the rosy finches at Sandia Crest, yet? Incredible sight! Very nice pictures.
Zil

Hi Milan,

Welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Glad to have you aboard and I look forward to reading about your birding experiences. We've got a geat bunch of people on here from all around the World. I hope you enjoy what you see and see your way to posting a few more photos and can tell us about the areas where you go birding.

See you around.

Hi Milan,

Glad you have joined us.....hope that doesn't sound too much like the Borg!

I will have a look at your picture(s) later

Cheers.

Milan: nice name

Los Alamos: nice place

We look forward to hearing a lot more from you.

Great to have you with us on Bird Forum.

Thanks Wes, Sal and Andrew,

I'm really glad to be a member of this forum. I've already learned a lot just by browsing through various threads.

Milan

beverlybaynes,

I can only highly recomend the Bosque del Apache, if you will get a chance go there.

That country road you mentioned is around the corner from Los Alamos. It goes from here to Jemez Springs and it passes by Valles Caldera. Its a beautiful place. You can watch elk's and coyotes there.

White Sands and many other places are still on my list of places to visit.

I've been here in NM only for 2 years and there are simply too many places to visit ;-)

Milan

Hi Zil,

Your right we are practically neighbours ;-).
I have to go to Sandia crest yet. What ido you think, what is the best time to go there?

Milan

IanF, Steve and Peter,

It's eally fascinating to me that we have people from corners of this planet here.
Can you imagine that I was living in UK for almost a year and half, and I was not birdwatching at that time ? How silly.

Milan

Bosque del Apache

Hi Milan

I remember going to this reserve 7 or 8 years ago and saw several rattle snakes. Sort of added a bit of spice to my birding on the day.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back