• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi folks! I'm new and need some help getting started! (1 Viewer)

scott topic

United States
Hello there, I'm new to the forum, and honestly totally new to birding. I'm a hiker but I honestly had not been someone who really spends a lot of time looking up when I'm in the woods. I watched a movie about birding last week and it inspired me to start trying to pay attention to all these birds, and I see it as a potentially very interesting hobby and way to gamify and add some fun to my hikes.

The problem is I have absolutely no idea what birds are what, and it seems a little overwhelming! I really only know the extremely common ones, but even there I don't have enough knowledge to know if there are similar looking species or how to distinguish sub-species or males vs females or young vs old. I installed Merlin and EBird on my phone, and I think that might be helpful to do some identification. Right now my life list on ebird has 1 entry, because I was pretty confident enough to identify the robins in my yard. :p

But even then, like a few days ago I see a small bird out my window. I did the merlin identification by description and it said it's probably a "House Sparrow" or a "Song Sparrow". These look so similarly to me, and in the brief moment I have a chance to look at this thing while he's bouncing around my yard, I couldn't determine these tiny differences. I have some binoculars but I feel like I might never be able to identify a bird unless I invest in some complex telescoping camera setup where I can take my time comparing the photo with all the details about a particular bird's identifying features.

Anyone have any good tips or a good starting place for a grown adult who is completely new to this?

Hi Scott and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. LOL we all started where you are, so don't fret. Have a look at some of the threads in the Tips for New Birders forum. Also what I found very helpful was to look at pictures in the Gallery and tried to identify them before reading the identification. To start with, perhaps, restrict your viewing there to the North America category.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. There might be a local Audobon Society group near you, but someone from your side of the Atlantic could explain about them better than me.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Apps are great but you can't beat an actual book. Trying to find IDs in a book helps you weed out confusion species and just gets you looking at the details.

Try and identify every bird you see, even when just out and about in everyday life. Be observant, look for birds (and bugs and flowers etc) and try and identify them. It is great way to learn the common birds and to tune into when something looks out of the ordinary.

YouTube is great for practicing IDs, especially if you can get it nice and big on your TV. There are plenty of live streams of feeders and you can even cheat a bit by pausing and rewinding!

Also don't beat yourself up if you can't ID a bird, there will always be the one that got away. Just enjoy observing nature.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I do think a book would help. One of the best is the Sibley’s Guide to Birds; there is one that covers North America or you could get one for either western or eastern North America. He also has one for Backyard Birds.

Just will update y'all, I did pick up a book and with it along with my apps I've got my life list on ebird up to... prepare yourself.... 6! I'm beginning to recognize some of the common calls (i had no idea the sounds I heard all the time were from say, robins, or mourning doves!) Merlin has helped me confirm a couple identifications based on sound (a red-winged blackbird today). I'm starting to try and learn what things i need to pay attention to... the size of it. the coloring. the location. Regarding my sparrows I mentioned in my first post, I was able to determine I had a Song Sparrow at my bird feeder because as he turned towards me I was able to see a brown spot on his chest, exactly as my book described.

It's a small victory for me but I'm looking forward to making progress in this hobby! Thanks for all the tips! :cool:

Just keep thinking about how we all got to 6 and it sounds as if you have prepared yourself well in Identifying the birds you come across ;)

Just will update y'all, I did pick up a book and with it along with my apps I've got my life list on ebird up to... prepare yourself.... 6! I'm beginning to recognize some of the common calls (i had no idea the sounds I heard all the time were from say, robins, or mourning doves!) Merlin has helped me confirm a couple identifications based on sound (a red-winged blackbird today). I'm starting to try and learn what things i need to pay attention to... the size of it. the coloring. the location. Regarding my sparrows I mentioned in my first post, I was able to determine I had a Song Sparrow at my bird feeder because as he turned towards me I was able to see a brown spot on his chest, exactly as my book described.

It's a small victory for me but I'm looking forward to making progress in this hobby! Thanks for all the tips! :cool:
Awesome and welcome. Im new too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back