• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hi from Arizona (1 Viewer)

GracesWarbler

Hello everyone! I recent moved to Arizona and I'm excited to see more of the birds around here. There seem to be a lot of good natural areas nearby. I've always liked birds, but only started getting into birding in the past year. I'm still pretty bad at ID, though, especially for all those little brown birds. Two questions:

First, what should I do to get better at identifying birds? I have the Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America, as well as iBird. Do you all have any good tips or other resources?

Also, what countries are users primarily from on this website? I've seen a lot of threads about the UK. Do you all have good birds over there?

Anyway, happy to be here!

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi GracesWarbler and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I suppose the representation from the UK does form the majority of members here, but closely followed by the US. We do have member from all over the world, with many from Australia and India too.

I found looking at pictures in the Gallery really helped me with my identification skills, often trying to test myself by trying to work out what the picture was before looking at the text; doing the same in the ID forum too. If I got the ID wrong, I then looked up the bird in The Opus, our bird encyclopaedia. At the bottom of each page is a link to the Gallery so you can look at more images.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice of you to join us. I think Delia gave some good ways to get better at id'ing.

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Users who are viewing this thread