• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Hi from the Isle Of Man (1 Viewer)

Hello there!

I live in the Isle of Man and have got the birding bug since lockdown. We get lots of waders and seabirds here in particular, I laughingly thought they would be easier to Id than LBJ's - ha!

I have always enjoyed watching birds, but decided to try and up it a bit by figuring out what I was watching. I am a musician so got the BirdNET app to try and train my ear, but it has soon developed from there with eBird. I try and check out our local peninsula a few days a week. I also have ME, so this has been a great low-activity hobby as I can park up by some great spots and happily lose an hour. The highlights this year have been watching a Peregrine family grown and fledge, going all the way to Ramsey (local joke) to see a Rosy Starling, and seeing a Great Skua.

I have a big birthday this month and am hoping to upgrade my Binos and get a bridge camera, I found your site looking for reviews of the Vortex Vipers.
Many thanks

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi ManxShearwater and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I look forward to hearing your news and will hopefully see some of your pictures in the Gallery when you get your camera!!!

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi Manx and a warm welcome to you from across the pond.

Please join in wherever you like ;)

Mike C

Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club
Hello there!

I live in the Isle of Man and have got the birding bug since lockdown. We get lots of waders and seabirds here in particular, I laughingly thought they would be easier to Id than LBJ's - ha!

I have always enjoyed watching birds, but decided to try and up it a bit by figuring out what I was watching. I am a musician so got the BirdNET app to try and train my ear, but it has soon developed from there with eBird. I try and check out our local peninsula a few days a week. I also have ME, so this has been a great low-activity hobby as I can park up by some great spots and happily lose an hour. The highlights this year have been watching a Peregrine family grown and fledge, going all the way to Ramsey (local joke) to see a Rosy Starling, and seeing a Great Skua.

I have a big birthday this month and am hoping to upgrade my Binos and get a bridge camera, I found your site looking for reviews of the Vortex Vipers.
Many thanks

If you get to Port St Mary (my Dad is from there), look up an outfit called Gemini Boat Charters. The lad (Bob) who is the skipper is a good birder and an all round good bloke.

sbarnhardt

32d Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Welcome!

Glad you found your way to the Bird Forum.

Enjoy and do not hesitate to ask questions! There are a lot of answers and people with answers here.

Mike C - we know Bob and have been out on the Gemini before. He really does know his birds and cetaceans. We are in Castletown so not far from Psm. :)

Last edited:
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread