• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hi, I’m new here, help me identify my garden birds 🙂 (1 Viewer)

Alex21

Northern Ireland
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently started feeding my garden birds and I’m trying to identify them.. What I’m struggling with is telling the difference between female house sparrows and female chaffinches.. I’ve seen Male of both. Hopefully someone can help, my photos may not be clear enough,
Thanks 🙂 7B9D4F41-2228-46AA-B6C6-FC4F5F6FD139.jpeg 7B9D4F41-2228-46AA-B6C6-FC4F5F6FD139.jpeg D2E412D3-1AFD-4815-B4F5-64504029EB50.jpeg 57826731-C506-4590-B7BB-6DD406E43E19.jpeg

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Hi Alex

Warm welcome to Birdforum! Glad you are keeping those feeders topped up in this cold weather.

Your birds are House Sparrows.

I will link some images for you.

Note the female does not have a big white patch on her wing compared to female Chaffinch
This is a quick and easy way to tell them apart in the first instance.

Don’t forget there is an opportunity to count your garden birds this weekend and record the results if you have time for one hour for the Big Garden Birdwatch - there is a garden bird guide on the form or you can post photos on the ID forum and other members will help you 🙂

Last edited:

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to a Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Alex and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

As Deb has said, you seem to have a lovely colony of House Sparrows. I'll link to a picture of a female House Sparrow in flight, in which you can clearly see a pale supercilium (eyebrow), which is missing in the Chaffinch. Also, as Deb said, the Chaffinch has white wing bars, lacking in the sparrow.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Alex21

Northern Ireland
Many thanks for all your replies 🙂.. that’s good to know, can any of you shed any light as to why my pied wagtail is chasing all my other little birds away 🤷🏼‍♀️?
again, thanks!

Mark-C

Hi Alex, like the photos of House Sparrows, In South Birmingham they are not as numerous , as in yours gone by, Enjoy them.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you Alex (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. Can’t help with the wagtail question. Some birds are just territorial and chase others.

Alex21

Northern Ireland
Hi Alex, like the photos of House Sparrows, In South Birmingham they are not as numerous , as in yours gone by, Enjoy them.
Thankyou, they are lovely to watch, sometimes we have 9-10 visiting at once especially on colder days. Don’t see as many of the others though, great tit, blue tit, blackbird, wagtail and couple of robins.

Users who are viewing this thread