• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hi, I'm getting into digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Erwin Driessens

After two years of hesitation, I have now decided to try out digiscoping. Spring is
itching... I've seen many wonderful photos on the internet using this technique. I really like the intimacy of these extreme tele shots. But some photos are much
sharper than others, and this worries me. Will I be able to overcome initial
disappointments?
I have filmed quite a few birds using 24x magnification, with good results, using
a DV camera plus 2x tele extender, on a heavy tripod and fluid head. But I'm not so impressed with standard video resolution. I guess I like a high quality still more
than some standard resolution video footage.

So I am currently figuring out the optimal digiscoping equipment, gathering info
on the web. Swarovski ATS80 HD plus Nikon Coolpix 4500 seems to be a good
starting point. But what bothers me is that the Coolpix is kindof outdated. I'd like
to work with a camera with a faster autofocus and a sharper, bigger and brighter LCD screen. Contax U4R is mentioned, but it is hard to get hold of.
What is the best digiscoping camera?

Thanks for any hints,
Erwin

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi Erwin and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

You really cannot beat the coolpix 4500s, 990s & 995s for digiscoping. I have been using a 990 for a few years now with my scope and I am happy with my photos. Digiscoping does take a lot of practice and patience so be prepared for that.

Have you checked out Andy Bright's forums here on digiscoping and all the suggested settings? I would urge you to read as much as you can and as I mentioned, be patient ;)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Hi,Erwin,welcome to BF.Good luck with the digiscoping ,it is a challenge,but well worth the effort.Yes do check out Andy's Forums,but the main thing is to keep the scope and tripod steady,and the closer to the subject,the clearer your pic will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread