• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi im new. Advice needed please. (1 Viewer)

Keston mark

United Kingdom
My names mark wildlife and the outdoors is always been my passion .im looking to get into birding now I have spare time on my hands but need some advice to get started like what kind of camera with a budget of about 1k and do I go for binoculars or scope and what make. There's so much choice out there im in the dark with it all .any advice would be much appreciated. Kind regards mark .

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to you.
I can tell you that I wound up getting rid of my swaro scope as it was just too heavy to cart around. But you are probably a helluva lot stronger than I am so that's a choice you'll have to make.
Find yourself in a section of forest where you can seat yourself and just watch for landing birds.
I'm particularly fond of Nikon and have used their cameras for over 20 years. So that is gonna wind up you going through a few cameras until you find one that you are happy with.

Here's a link to our camera section of the Forum:

My best suggestion is to click on the Forum tab above and slowly scroll down the page to show all the subjects that will be useful to you. Good luck and enjoy ;)

KC

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Some great advice there from KC. I think concentrate on binoculars to start with as it may depend on the type of birding that you eventually find the most interesting, as to whether or not you really need a 'scope. For instance they're not so useful if you're in woodland, but essential if you want to sit on top of a cliff sea watching.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for your help guys gonna take a drive to my nearest rspb shop where they've got a binocular/scope feild day .so gonna test some out .in the meantime do some research on cameras .thanks again .

With a name like Mark Wildlife, this hobby us right up your alley. Wink. Seriously though, welcome and don't forget , out in the country, it's not just birds you'll love viewing. And most everything out there moves fast and often, so starting out, don't go crazy on the power, or the money spent. See if the hobby fits your life first. Just grab a light weight 7x35 porro or 8x32 roof and see what happens. Cheers.

Thanks so much for your advice and replys . I'm on the look out for my first binocular/scope going to visit a rspb event in 3wks to try some out .can anyone recommend any type make and model budget of about £300 ? .cheers Mark

Mark,

at a RSPB optics event with a budget of £300 you will be looking at the RSPB Harrier binoculars. These are waterproof and cost £230 for the 8x42 which is a good starting point.
The events are usually run by Viking Optics with help from RSPB staff and volunteers and the demonstrator/salesperson will have some to buy and take away on the day, the Viking Kestrel (8x42 - £260) are a little more expensive than the RSPB Harrier. Viking also have a Merlin 8x42 model at £290. The Kestrel and the Merlin are waterproof.

The Viking representative will be as unbiased as possible and judging by the one I helped recently won’t be pushy but will naturally steer you toward the RSPB range or the Viking range.

Good Luck and stand by for lots more advice

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back