• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi would love some advice on my new robin friends (1 Viewer)

Poppysrobin

United Kingdom
Hi my names Chez.
Last Tuesday I had to have my best friend Poppy my pug PTS. She was 13 and it’s hit me hard. I was very quickly getting myself in a bad place and couldn’t see a way out.
I sat in the garden the day after it happened and told my husband I wanted her to send me a sign that she doesn’t blame me and In that second a robin red breast landed on my fence! It gave me so much comfort. We have never seen a robin in our garden for the 5 years we have lived here.
Well now this robin and his friend are in the garden everyday. I’ve bought them a feeder and a bath and waiting for a nesting box just incase they wanted one.
They eat from the feeder while I’m in the garden and I keep getting closer sitting by the food while they come down. I’ve tried getting them to eat out of a mealworm tub while I’m holding it and they want to but are just too nervous bless them.

Any advice how i can gain their trust? Would mean the absolute world to me if they would eat from my hand.
They have given me something to focus on so happy to put the time and effort in.
Pic of my lil Robin attached

Thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• 02A1F742-C9E9-42E1-A5B2-CE1DBFB28133.jpeg
    02A1F742-C9E9-42E1-A5B2-CE1DBFB28133.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 3
Hi Chez and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Robins are so delightful and always manage to raise my spirits when I see one.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome aboard Chez! I'm glad you found us and I look forward to hearing about your Robin friends.

You'll probably wind up with more bird friends so we look forward to hearing about them as well :)

Hi Chez, this is very late, how is it going? Try laying a mealworm somewhere close to your hand (find a distance that works) and slowly reduce it.

I hope you've realised that although Poppy has left your life, you were her entire life- I'm sure she was a happy during the time she spent with you as any dog can ever be.

Maple

Users who are viewing this thread

Back