• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

High winds kill thousands of migrating birds in Greece (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
No but I do recall a story from a few years back where a load of Swallows caught out by cold weather in S Europe were picked up exhausted and flown back to N Africa or something like that...

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
No but I do recall a story from a few years back where a load of Swallows caught out by cold weather in S Europe were picked up exhausted and flown back to N Africa or something like that...
As I remember, that was southbound birds in autumn picked up exhausted in Alpine passes after an early cold snap; they were driven down to the Po Valley and released there.

dantheman

Bah humbug
As I remember, that was southbound birds in autumn picked up exhausted in Alpine passes after an early cold snap; they were driven down to the Po Valley and released there.

Are you sure? One thing that stuck in my mind was that the birds released would then have to make the same journey shortly after ... so the 'help' wasn't that much help. But could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread