• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Higher Companion Magnification To The 8X42 NL Pure - 12X42 NL Pure? (1 Viewer)

bockos

Разгледах всеки един модел на NL Pure гръб към гръб. Най -добрият е 8x42. Изображението е най -яркото, цветовете са най -богати, а зрителното поле е най -голямо. 12 x 42 са невероятни, но изображението е по -тъпо и изглежда мъгливо или по -бяло, отколкото с по -малки увеличения. 10 x 42s превъзхождат 12 x 42s по отношение на цвета и яркостта, но 8 x 42s са толкова ярки и толкова контрастни, че в повечето случаи същите детайли все още се виждат дори с две по -малко мощност. Само когато гледате обекти на разстояние 500y, наистина забелязвате голяма разлика в детайлите, която можете да забележите между 8 x42s и 10s или 12s. 8 x 42s се представят най -добре в условия на слаба светлина, зрителното поле на 477 'е огромно, а цветовете са най -ярките и най -добрите в сравнение с другите биноса. Когато гледате през тях, цветовете изскачат най -много в сравнение с 10 -те и 12 -те. Разликата във видимото зрително поле между 71 градуса с 12s и 69 градуса с 8s не е фактор. Разликата в качеството на изображението компенсира минималните FOV видими предимства.
Съгласен съм с теб. Как точно казано. Картината в 8x42 е по -ярка от 10x42 ... и 10x42 е по -добра от 12x42 ... Мисля, че това се дължи на по -голямата изходна зеница. Описахте го много точно ... Аз обаче си купих 10x42NL ... И този бинокъл расте с всеки изминал ден ... уау ... и става все по -приятен. Харесвам повече подробности .. Има по -малки птици от врабче ... и за мен е по -добре при голямото увеличение, за да мога да видя интересните детайли и очите на малките птици ... Да! 8x42 е най -красивата картина. Но обмислям да купя 12x42NL ... Може би съм малко странен, но също така много ми харесаха 10x42 и 12x42 .... въпреки че 8x42 по някакъв начин е по -ярък от тях. Имам 10x42NL с FRP и WES и така е стабилен в ръцете ми с този FRP ...

GrampaTom

United States
From Google Translate for Bockos,
"I agree with you. As exactly said. The picture at 8x42 is brighter than 10x42 ... and 10x42 is better than 12x42 ... I think this is due to the larger output pupil. You described it very accurately ... However, I bought 10x42NL ... And these binoculars grow with each passing day ... wow ... and it becomes more and more pleasant. I like more details .. There are smaller birds than a sparrow ... and for me it is better at high magnification so that I can see the interesting details and the eyes of the small birds ... Yes! 8x42 is the most beautiful picture. But I'm thinking of buying 12x42NL ... Maybe I'm a little weird, but I also really liked 10x42 and 12x42 .... although 8x42 is somehow brighter than them. I have 10x42NL with FRP and WES and so it is stable in my hands with this FRP ..."

pm42

PM 42, not following, could you point out what youre talking about?
A brand new member posted the same message about the NL Pure in 4 different threads. It was reported to the moderator and the messages were deleted.
But before, some people suggested that this member could be Dennis under a new alias. I was just telling dries that my message was not about Dennis but about the 4 messages as I dislike flooding.

Lightbender

Yes, not 100% polite...

But I agree with his/her evaluation and comparison he/she makes in post #31. That's exactly what my own eyes see.

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
I mentioned before in an earlier post in this thread that I don't see a difference in brightness between the 8x42 and 12x428Nl during the day

However, It is quite possible that my pupils, at age 78, can't dilate enough to take advantage of the bigger exit pupil of the 8x42Nl. That's a big reason that the older you get, the worse your night vision also becomes.

Conndomat

United States of Europe
Europe
I mentioned before in an earlier post in this thread that I don't see a difference in brightness between the 8x42 and 12x428Nl during the day
Hello,

During the day, both binoculars should be equally bright, as the human pupil is only 2.5-3mm in size anyway.

The advantage of the 8x42 should only become apparent at dusk or in very poor visibility.

Andreas

Lightbender

Might other (psychological?) effects be involved than just the (physical) size of the exit pupil? Contrast? Colour distribution? Colour saturation? Compared to the 10, the 8x42 appears brighter to my eyes; during daylight. Not by much, but easily perceptible.

Last edited:

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
Hello,

During the day, both binoculars should be equally bright, as the human pupil is only 2.5-3mm in size anyway.

The advantage of the 8x42 should only become apparent at dusk or in very poor visibility.

Andreas
I would agree with you, except a couple of people claim, here, that even in daylight, they see the 8xNL as being brighter, when they the compared the different magnifications. I was trying to reconcile the difference they see and what I don't see.

Conndomat

United States of Europe
Europe
I would agree with you, except a couple of people claim, here, that even in daylight, they see the 8xNL as being brighter, when they the compared the different magnifications. I was trying to reconcile the difference they see and what I don't see.

Hello, if both glasses have the same transmission, neither of the two should be brighter on a normal day!

It can of course still be the case that binoculars are a little different in color, then it can look as if a glass is brighter.
Sometimes the larger FOVs also suggest an apparent brightness advantage.

Andreas

tenex

reality-based
PM 42, not following, could you point out what youre talking about?
It's always hard to figure out what happened when posts have been deleted.
...some people suggested that this member could be Dennis under a new alias...
I didn't really think it sounded like him... and more importantly, he seems unlikely to want to use an alias and would have no reason to.

Might other (psychological?) effects be involved than just the (physical) size of the exit pupil? Contrast? Colour distribution? Colour saturation? Compared to the 10, the 8x42 appears brighter to my eyes; during daylight. Not by much, but easily perceptible.
I wonder whether those saying "the 8x NL is brighter" develop this impression simply because it shows more sky, or are doing careful A-B comparisons with more uniform fields of view?

Lightbender

I wonder whether those saying "the 8x NL is brighter" develop this impression simply because it shows more sky, or are doing careful A-B comparisons with more uniform fields of view?
No to the first question; yes to the second.

Both binoculars stacked on top of each other: A white spot (a white blossom) - for example - looked perfectly white through the 10x42, but the white through the 8x42 still appeared a tad brighter / more "radiant".

No bias. Because I planned to get the 10x; and I really expected both formats to be identical in image quality. I essentially wanted to check for eye relief and whether I would be able to handle the shake. After my investigation I changed my mind and kept the 8x. (Not only because of "brightness" / see my other post in this sub-forum).

Last edited:

Conndomat

United States of Europe
Europe
No.

Both binoculars stacked / on top of each other: A white spot (a white blossom) looked perfectly white through the 10x42, but the white through the 8x42 still appeared a tad brighter / more "radiant".
Hi,

then there are color differences that make the 8x42 appear brighter!
Letting it appear does not mean that it is really brighter.

How far was the object?

Andreas

dorubird

Romania
As Tenex and Conndomat suggested, when I compare the brightness impression of 8 vs 10x binoculars, I raise EyeShields in one binocular to see, for exemple, the same uniform area of sky in both binoculars, and I make brightnes estimates only on this uniform central area. In this way there will be no more optical illusions in brightness! In addition to this method, I turn both binoculars and look revers from about 30cm from the objective lenses in front of white light of LCD monitor, and estimate the difference of brightness. And I use even a third method to make an average as objective as possible. I put one pair of binoculars in left eye and the other one in right eye, then I alternate (because different color reception in eyes) and estimate the brightness on the evening, night and day time. Following these 3 practical methods I draw my subjective conclusion on the brightness of binoculars that I have in comparation.

Last edited:

Conndomat

United States of Europe
Europe
I put one pair of binoculars in left eye and the other one in right eye, then I alternate (because different color reception in eyes) and estimate the brightness on the evening, night and day time.
Hi,

unfortunately, this method is very unreliable because our two eyes have different light and color sensitivity!

Years ago I observed it in myself and asked an ophthalmologist about it, he said it was completely normal, just as our arms and legs are differently shaped, this also applies to the eyes, but most people do not notice it.
It is also differently pronounced in people.

Andreas

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
I believe I am fairly unbiased regarding what I am not seeing. I had owned the 8x42 Nl for about 5 months, before buying to try the 12xNl. I had originally chosen the 8x primarily because of its extra FOV and hoped it might be brighter. I actually hoped that all the hype of the reviewers saying they like the 12x more than 8x was an exaggeration and would be returning the 12x and saving some cash. But I was floored by the 12x and kept them along with my 8x. The 12x were easier to steady than I had imagined making it possible to see details overlooked or impossible to see with the 8x.

At no time, IMO, has brightness during the day suffered with them, compared to the 8x. Moreover, perhaps, it is the extra closeness and detail that gives me the impression that colors and contrast is a bit better with 12x. Clearly to me, sharpness. edge to edge is better, with 12x, inspite of less depth of field.

Furthermore, my impressions agree with those of some formal reviewers who own or have used 100s of fine binoculars, and have far more experience with alpha glass than most of us and certainly me. If I were to discount my own observations, because of my old eyes, then should I also disregard these reviewers? I think not, although their eyes may also be old. I just don't know.

As far as the people in this forum who insist that the 8x42 Nl is the brightest of the 3 versions, I can't discount them either. We have different eyes, even if we have the same binoculars. Therefore, we certainly can see things differently.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread