• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Higher MP camera or teleconverter ? (upgrading gear) (1 Viewer)

WildTotarda

United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've been photographing birds for almost a year now and I think its time for me to upgrade my camera.

I currently own a 24mp crop sensor camera (d3500) and using the 200-500mm f5.6 zoom lens which effectively gives me a 750mm range at full extension.

I was thinking about upgrading my camera body to mirrorless Z system (z6ii or z7ii) both of which are FF sensor cameras.

My dilemma here is: should I get the z6ii with a teleconverter to not lose that extra 1.5x crop from the dx crop OR should I go for the z7ii since its got more MP and gives me more leeway to crop (do not know to what extent though) without the disadvantages of using a teleconverter ?

It would be ideal if Nikon had a higher end mirrorless DX camera with a higher MP count, improved AF and features than the z50 but it looks like thats not gonna happen anytime soon :')

Thanks for the help

Jose

Crop sensor cameras do not give you extra reach, they just crop the image in camera. Teleconverters do add magnification, at the expense of light and usually IQ. And don't get too hung up on megapixels, they all have more than enough. Good quality glass and technique are much more important. You might consider the D500 or even the D7200 for an upgrade.

In my photography I found the #1 thing that included the quality of my images (other than having the sun behind me) was a good tripod (gitzo, arca-swiss ballhead).

What do you feel is missing in the images you are currently producing?

Crop sensor cameras do not give you extra reach, they just crop the image in camera. Teleconverters do add magnification, at the expense of light and usually IQ. And don't get too hung up on megapixels, they all have more than enough. Good quality glass and technique are much more important. You might consider the D500 or even the D7200 for an upgrade.
Hi Oldnintheway and thanks for the response.
From what I understand, yes, they might crop the image in camera, but they also retain the original MP count (in my case 24mp) therefore retaining more detail as opposed to a FF camera in DX mode where it crops the image in camera but also the MP count by around half therefore reducing IQ. I'm not a super teccy guy so excuse me if im not wording it correctly.
In terms of the camera body I was really looking more into moving to mirrorless instead of a new dslr although I have thought of the d500 as am upgrade in the past.
Thank you very much for your help

In my photography I found the #1 thing that included the quality of my images (other than having the sun behind me) was a good tripod (gitzo, arca-swiss ballhead).

What do you feel is missing in the images you are currently producing?
Hello radix023 and thanks for replying !

I'm quite happy with the results that I'm getting at the moment with the d3500 200-500mm combo. The d3500 its a great little camera but it lacks in many aspects. I find myself missing shots a lot because of the AF system. DR is not great. It was good as a beginner camera but i do feel like I need something more advanced to improve as a photographer. In regards to the tripod, i do own one (cheap one) but I dont really give it much use. I tend to enjoy more the walk & shoot type of photography.
The only thing that really concerns me is the loss of reach as a result of moving to FF sensor (from 750mm max reach to 500) since I find it perfect for the subjects that I shoot and my style of shooting.
Thanks a lot for you help !

Hello radix023 and thanks for replying !

I'm quite happy with the results that I'm getting at the moment with the d3500 200-500mm combo. The d3500 its a great little camera but it lacks in many aspects. I find myself missing shots a lot because of the AF system. DR is not great. It was good as a beginner camera but i do feel like I need something more advanced to improve as a photographer. In regards to the tripod, i do own one (cheap one) but I dont really give it much use. I tend to enjoy more the walk & shoot type of photography.
The only thing that really concerns me is the loss of reach as a result of moving to FF sensor (from 750mm max reach to 500) since I find it perfect for the subjects that I shoot and my style of shooting.
Thanks a lot for you help !

a monopod can be a decent compromise to a full tripod (you make a tripod with your two legs and the monopod)

if you're looking for AF high performance at distance, I would be sure to do research on dpreview.com to be sure you're getting what you want.

I am a bit late to this thread but here is my experience anyway. I have used a FF Nikon D610 with sigma 150-600C HH, monopod and Slik Tripod with ball heads and was disappointed with my keeper rate and focus. I have now added a Nikon D7500 'crop' to my kit, upgradedto a Manfrotto tripod with a Slik Gimbal and my keeper rate has improved so has the quality and sharpness of my pictures. The AF is fast and the gimbal allows better tracking, especially with BB focus and spot focus/exposure (almost impossible for me HH).

I am a great one for looking at others to see their kit/results and have generally found the best of the bunch invariably have Nikon D500 'crop' cameras and use high grade tripods and Gimbal heads. Some also have the D500 with the Nikon 500m PF light lens for HH. Not having the funds to run to this I find my D7500 (same sensor as D500) and Sigma 150-600C a good setup.

Hi everyone,

I've been photographing birds for almost a year now and I think its time for me to upgrade my camera.

I currently own a 24mp crop sensor camera (d3500) and using the 200-500mm f5.6 zoom lens which effectively gives me a 750mm range at full extension.

I was thinking about upgrading my camera body to mirrorless Z system (z6ii or z7ii) both of which are FF sensor cameras.

My dilemma here is: should I get the z6ii with a teleconverter to not lose that extra 1.5x crop from the dx crop OR should I go for the z7ii since its got more MP and gives me more leeway to crop (do not know to what extent though) without the disadvantages of using a teleconverter ?

It would be ideal if Nikon had a higher end mirrorless DX camera with a higher MP count, improved AF and features than the z50 but it looks like thats not gonna happen anytime soon :')

Thanks for the help

Jose
Cropping closer with a higher res body will always yeald better results than using a converter I'd say Wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back