• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highland bog (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
The Highlands are really beautiful just now. I was tramping across moors the other week, taking my time negotiating a bog, when I stopped in wonder at how beautiful the moor can actually be.

I think here we have purple bell heather and bog asphodel (yellow flowers), but not sure. What else is there?

Attachments

• bogasphodel.jpg
    bogasphodel.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 41
That really is beautiful George. You're right, you need to 'look' more closely at the boggy areas, don't you. I love the bog cotton a bit earlier in the year. It looks like snow from a distance!

Not sure, but I've a feeling that's Cross-leaved Heat Erica tetralix rather than bell heather, which is more woody. But wait for the experts.

I'm not qualified to comment on what it is, or isn't, but I am able to say what I like. I like that!

Thank you!

Oh thanks so much George.... that really is beautiful. Such pretty colours there.

I do so miss being able to walk across the moors now.

Make the most of it then George, while you can! You never know what's round the corner.

..... and keep bringing us these lovely pictures too!

I've heard "moors" spoken about for years, but have no real knowledge of what It would be like.

What is it about them that hinders walking there? No paths? Uneven ground, etc.?

Well... there's often Landrover tracks that you can walk on. Otherwise you follow cattle/sheep tracks where they go in the right direction. Failing that, you may be faced with knee-high heather which is a nightmare to negotiate if you have short legs like me!!

.... then after all that there's the bogs. May just be a bit damp, or you might sink to your knees..... or it could be bottomless and you might never be seen again;) You have to know how to work out which is which and how to negotiate them.

Hi sbarnhardt,

Here are a couple of shots from our latest trip to Dartmoor - different part of the country and smaller scale than the highland moors - but still amazing and whatever we call “access land” which means you can roam anywhere.

Attachments

• D6C58453-6A5C-4962-9F7C-781122117152.jpeg
    D6C58453-6A5C-4962-9F7C-781122117152.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 9AC65C8B-2F4D-492C-9ED5-8F8FBDEDC891.jpeg
    9AC65C8B-2F4D-492C-9ED5-8F8FBDEDC891.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
The moors are basically just wilderness. I live in Sutherland which is generally referred to as the last true wilderness in Europe. I used to walk into remote areas when I was younger and fitter, but now I need to stick to the paths and not wander too far from the road. This is the moors near where I live in autumn, with the Caistel na Coille broch in the foreground on the banks of the Black Water and Ben Armine in the distance.

Attachments

• benarmine.jpg
    benarmine.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Lovely Bog Asphodel and Cross-leaved Heath as Delia said, it's similar to Bell Heather, but is pinker than Bell Heather's deeper purple. The only thing I dislike about moorland fauna is the pesky clegs as I tend to react badly to their bites and unfortunately they seem to like me.

Thanks earthy. My mate reacts badly to the clegs as well. They only seem to like certain people. They leave me well alone. The midges like me though. I must go read up on cross-leaved heath now.

Mmmmm.... that's a stunning area George. My mind took me a'wandering across to that burn.

I always have to see round the next bit LOL.

Thanks lad.

Had to look up clogs meant horseflies! I have a permanent hole in my shin due to one of those blighters.

LOL Julie .... it's 'clegs which are horseflies (horrid things).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back