• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highlights of the week (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Monday: Nothing as I was sick. Saw some tits from the window in the trees.

Tuesday: Some jays flying through, lots of gulls, including a Lesser Black Backed, Jackdaws and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker which flew into a tree whilst I was waiting for a bus.

Wednesday: A very productive day, resulting in 2 goldcrests (got some cracking pictures, but need to lighten them up a little),a flock of 20 or so mixed tits, and a blackbird which sounded extremely unlike one. This was all after school.

Thursday: Not much to report, the birds were not cooperating at all and a small flock of goldfinches were the highlight to a very bland day.

Friday (today): Early in the morning, a Sprawk attempted to catch a wood pigeon, but failed and then turned on the carrion crows. Out on the field during PE, a flock of about 15 Black Headed Gulls on the field, along with 8 starlings. The BHG's were not impressed that the starlings were finding all the food, so subsequently tried to chase them off. They succeeded :ROFLMAO:. As I was walking to drama, I heard the familiar call of a goldcrest, could've been a firecrest, but I didn't see it so I could not confirm it. Currently typing this during my lesson so I'd better get back to my work and I'll update this later today.
Edit: What I believe to be a peregrine made a stoop down into a garden, although it never re appeared so I could never have been sure. During my history lesson I watched two feral pigeons playing tag with each other by running around which was amusing. The flock of pigeons grew to about 50 and then a carrion crow decided to scare them all away by landing next to them. A furious shower of rain approached, although it presented itself with a very bright rainbow and a second one behind. Initially before I took the picture it was a bit brighter, and I’m thankful that my history teacher let us take a picture of it.
Look closely and you can see a second one just below the light reflection
Ev

Attachments

• BC7F1E89-9457-444A-BDB0-545B4959BA25.jpeg
    BC7F1E89-9457-444A-BDB0-545B4959BA25.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks for your real time update, hope you don’t get your phone confiscated!
So your birding week could be summed up in a link to your drama class- Much Ado About Nothing ;)

Your stooping bird of prey into a garden sounds more likely to be a sparrow hawk; peregrines are far less likely to be seen in gardens. However, you know what you saw of the flight; it may be one that got away, or it may be that when you say “stoop” that is exactly what you meant. Hope you see it again anyway.

Your stooping bird of prey into a garden sounds more likely to be a sparrow hawk; peregrines are far less likely to be seen in gardens. However, you know what you saw of the flight; it may be one that got away, or it may be that when you say “stoop” that is exactly what you meant. Hope you see it again anyway.
I did originally consider sparrohawk, but I saw it had a whiteish-grey rump. Do sparrohawks have a grey rump? It also wasn't going fast enough to be a peregrine and as you said it would likely be a sprawk since peregrines don't usually appear in gardens.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back