• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hill Hook Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
Having recently moved to Sutton Coldfield, yesterday afternoon I ventured for the first time to my new local patch, Hill Hook Local Nature Reserve.

Whilst only small (7.5 hectares), the reserve offers a range of habitats. The northern part - between Hill Hook Road and Blake Street - is grassland with scrub and a few larger trees. To the east is a small arable field which is currently stubble; whilst to technically part of the reserve I will be including this area in my updates. The larger portion of the reserve is to the south of Hill Hook Road with exits onto Clarence Road, Sandhurst Road and Netherstone Grove. The open water of Mill Pond is surrounded by mature woodland and alder carr with marshy areas. The reserve is owned by Birmingham City Council and managed by the Birmingham & Black Country Wildlife Trust. Links to the relevant websites are attached below:

http://www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/reserves/hill-hook
http://www.hillhooklnr.org/index.php

Realistically I will probably not being visiting more than once a fortnight and I am not expecting to unearth national or even local rarities. However I have set myself a target to find 100 species for the patch, my best guesses being:

Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Goldeneye, Goosander, Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Buzzard, Kestrel, Peregrine, Hobby, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant, Red-legged Partridge, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Common Sandpiper, Common Snipe, Woodcock, Curlew, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Barn Owl, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Feral Pigeon, Collared Dove, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Cuckoo, Kingfisher, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Skylark, Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Redwing, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Redstart, Wheatear, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Chiffchaff, Spotted Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Carrion Crow, Rook, Raven, Magpie, Jay, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, Goldfinch, Linnet, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting

My brief visit in the middle of Sunday afternoon (not the most conducive time and hampered by a pram) produced the following for starters:

1. Wren, 2. Wood Pigeon, 3. Blue Tit, 4. Chaffinch, 5. Blackbird, 6. Great Tit, 7. Goldfinch, 8. Robin, 9. Buzzard, 10. Black-headed Gull, 11. Jackdaw; 12.
Coot, 13. Mallard, 14. Canada Goose, 15. Moorhen, 16. Feral Pigeon, 17. Lesser Black-backed Gull, 18. Meadow Pipit, 19. Stock Dove, 20. Magpie

My next visit will be early morning when hopefully disturbance will be less. In the meantime I would welcome any other sightings from the locality, either current or historic.

Welcome to Four oaks Phil - I live on Blake Street now and walk a great big Newfoundland dog around Hillhook a couple of times a week in the winter - might see you about. Add goosander to your list, saw a few last year. Good luck with the ticks :t:

Paul

Cheers Punta - from the two linked websites I have seen mention of sightings of Goosander, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Great Crested Grebe and Grey Wagtail.

Sunday 28th October

Was able to have a far greater investigation of the reserve on Sunday morning; looks ideal for the chance of a wintering Firecrest. Sightings comprised:

Mallard, 5 Tufted Duck - 2m 3f, 1 Little Grebe, 8 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 1 Canada Goose, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Wood Pigeon - several flocks totalling c100, Feral Pigeon, 1 Fieldfare over, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Goldcrest, LT Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch - up to 40, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, several small parties of Lesser Redpoll and Siskin, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Magpie, GS Woodpecker

Last edited:
Saturday 3rd November

A two hour visit this morning started off in rain but cleared into sunshine, bringing 37 species. I added six species to my reserve list (highlighted in bold):

Mallard, 1 Tufted Duck (first winter male), 1 Little Grebe, 17 Canada Goose, 8 Coot, 4 Moorhen, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, BH Gull, Grey Heron (2 in field south of Blake Street), GS Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Blackbird, Fieldfare (35 flew south), Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Grey Wagtail, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, at least 3 Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, 2 Jay, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll - largest party of 8, Starling

Last edited:
Sunday 11th November

The joy of birding a limited local patch is (a) you get to know every nook and cranny of the area and (b) any rare / unexpected birds feel just that little bit sweeter. Today's visit ceratinly fell into the latter category:

1 Canada Goose, Mallard, 9 Tufted Duck, 8 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 1 LBB Gull (very light mantle - had me thinking YL Gull for a minute), BH Gull, 4 Herring Gulls heading north, 3 Buzzard (again one perched up in the hedge bordering Blake Street plus 2 circling to the NE), Carrion Crow, Jackdaw Jay, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, GS Woodpecker, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, 2 Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, possible Marsh Tit just north of Mill Pool (call sounded good but just couldnt see the bird - with the wide variety of Blue and especially Great Tit calls I would want a sight to be sure), Goldcrest, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, CROSSBILL flew south over the Mill Pool giving its diagnostic metallic 'glip' call,

Last edited:
A nice cold, bright morning saw another species added to the list:

Canada Goose 1, Mallard, Tufted Duck 10, Coot 7, Moorhen 1, BH Gull, LBB Gull 1, Buzzard on its usual perch in the hedge along Blake Street, Sparrowhawk, Wood Pigeon, GS Woodpecker 2, Blackbird (notable increase in numbers, with 20+ on the east side of Mill Pool), Fieldfare 1, Mistle Thrush 2, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest Nuthatch 3, Jackdaw, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jay 1, Bullfinch, Chaffinch (increased numbers), Goldfinch, Siskin + Redpoll (both reduced in numbers)

A stroll around in the rain at midday added another species to my patch list:

Canada Goose 1, Mallard, Tufted Duck 13, Coot 10, Moorhen 5, BH Gull, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon (over 300 in the stubble field south of Blake Street), Feral Pigeon, GS Woodpercker, Grey Wagtail, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Redwing, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch 2, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw (up to 50 in the stubble field south of Blake Street), Magpie, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, House Sparrow.

Last edited:
I used to live just "round the corner" near the Fox and Dogs PH so interested in what you see at Hill Hook NR!

Is that 32 now?

Tony

I used to live just "round the corner" near the Fox and Dogs PH so interested in what you see at Hill Hook NR!

Is that 32 now?

Tony

Hi Tony - my Hill Hook list now stands at 47 species; aiming for 60 if at all possible before the start of spring migration. My original target for 100 in a year may be pushing it with hindsight!

Saturday 1st December

A restricted visit this morning was surprisingly bird rich, perhaps caused by the recent drop in temperates, including three patch ticks:

Mallard, Tufted Duck - numbers still increasing with 16 present, Coot, Moorhen, Buzzard, Black-headed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull - 1 north over the set-aside field east of the northern half of the reserve, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, GS Woodpecker 2, Pied Wagtail - also north over the set-aside field, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, Treecreeper 3+, Nuthatch 2+, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw c50, Magpie, Starling, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch - notably higher numbers today, Siskin c20, Lesser Redpoll 6

I am now half way to my target of 100 species; to date I have recorded two birds not on my original hit list (Crossbill and GBBG)

Saturday 8th December

One bird I had targeted seeing at Hill Hook was Goosander, having noted a couple of photos on the reserve's website. On a cold but bright morning I was not disappointed as I encountered two of these elegant saw-bills for the first time; always a delight to see but especially on a body of water as small as the Mill Pool. Species recorded today were:

Mallard, Tufted Duck (numbers had dropped to only 6 - 5m+1f), Goosander (male and female), Grey Heron (1 over the golf course north of Blake Street), Coot, Moorhen 4, Buzzard, BH Gull, Wood Pigeon, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Redwing, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit (noticeably more encountered today), LT Tit, Goldcrest, Nuthatch 3, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Bullfinch, Greenfinch (both more visible today), Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, House Sparrow.

Good to speak to Paul of the Birmingham & Black Country Trust as his work party carried out improvements to the pathways. I had already noticed some of their valuable work around the reserve such as coppicing and pollarding, the creation of clearings and dead hedging. Paul had received a repor of a Goldeneye at the Mill Pool last week.

Last edited:
Bloody hell Phil, you have seen a damn site more birds on the reserve than I have, well done.

Did you see all the above or are you including the heard ones in your list? I have only one good hearing ear, so do miss a lot. :-C PLUS I normally have a big dog, so its hard to get close to confirm what i see.

Had a walk round today and two male Goosanders are on the Mill pool still.

Bloody hell Phil, you have seen a damn site more birds on the reserve than I have, well done.

Did you see all the above or are you including the heard ones in your list? I have only one good hearing ear, so do miss a lot. :-C PLUS I normally have a big dog, so its hard to get close to confirm what i see.

Had a walk round today and two male Goosanders are on the Mill pool still.

Hi Punta - all seen (so far); Spring may cause me to lower my standards ;) I normally take 1.5 to 2 hours on each visit which gives me time to linger and the birds to come to me, something that may be difficult with a dog.

No new species added today in relatively balmy weather, albeit there were still some vestitages of ice on the Mill Pool:

Mallard, Tufted Duck - just 1 female, 3 Goosander (mmf), 10 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 1 Little Grebr, Buzzard, BH Gull, 2 GS Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Grey Wagtail, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Redwing, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Coal Tit, Goldcrest, 3 Nuthatch, 2 Treecreeper, Starling, Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Goldfinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, 1 Siskin, c30 Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch - incl flock of 60 in thr northern half (carefully checked for Brambling).

I normally take 1.5 to 2 hours on each visit which gives me time to linger and the birds to come to me, something that may be difficult with a dog.

Although I don't think we've met, a big thank you Phil for mentioning Hill Hook NR and setting up this thread.
My car was in for service today, so off I went on the cross city line to Blake Street station (only 200-300 yards from the reserve) because, although I have been a Lichfield resident for 34 years now, I had never heard of this NR before, let alone been there.
But what a great little reserve ! I spent two hours slowly finding my way round it's varied habitat and ended up with 29 species ... Magpie, BHGull, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, GOOSANDER (3m,2f), Tufted Duck, Little Grebe x 2, Wood Pigeon, Feral Pigeon, Blackbird, Robin, SISKIN (At least 10+ around the site), Goldfinch, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Buzzard (perched overlooking the field, plus two flights through the nearby trees causing a lot of bird movement !),Greenfinch, Starling, Mistlethrush, Redwing, Fieldfare, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Wren and Great Spotted Woody (heard not
seen).
More time next time, getting their earlier and knowing where I am going now, and I am sure that count would have been higher. A great little reserve though and thanks again Phil !

Cheers

Andy R.

Glad you enjoyed your visit Andy - you have managed to beat my peak counts of both Goosander and Little Grebe! ;) What is particularly pleasing about the reserve os the close confiding nature of some of the shyer woodland species such as Treecreeper and Nuthatch

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back