• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hills and Holes? Is it still there? Does anyone have any information on it? (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Good Day to Everyone!

I am an Editor on Bird Forum's Opus and am trying to expand an article in Opus about a location called "Hills and Holes" in Nottinghamshire.

I'm not having much luck finding anything of substance about it, so I'm asking here for information about it from people in the area that might be familiar with it.

I've pinned down on the map where I think it is and from the satellite image, it looks as though there is residential construction going on there. Now I'm not 100% sure I'm looking at the right place, but from comparing two different maps I might be.

So, I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has knowledge about this place. Is it still there? Is there information regarding birding there available anywhere? If so, where and/or who? Etc.....

Your response and help will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
sbarnhardt

stuartelsom

Hi Barney,

At first I thought you'd got the wrong county as here in Cambridgeshire we also have a SSSI reserve of the same name, however on further investigation there is definitely one in Notts. There is a link here which might be useful.

Stu

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Any chance you mean the reserve at Barnack, Cambridgeshire? There's Hills and Holes or Hills and Hollows as I know it.

Great for Chalkkhill Blue and Marbled White butterflies and very good for Green Woodpecker. As far as I know it's still there.

PE9 3EX is the post code.

sbarnhardt

Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Any chance you mean the reserve at Barnack, Cambridgeshire? There's Hills and Holes or Hills and Hollows as I know it.

Great for Chalkkhill Blue and Marbled White butterflies and very good for Green Woodpecker. As far as I know it's still there.

PE9 3EX is the post code.

When I first started working on this, that's what I was coming up with. But I found out later that is not the one and there is, in fact, two locations by that name. The one you speak of and the one in Nottinghamshire.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Thanks Steve... however the location given was at Warsop.

Would Hills and Hollows make a decent article too, do you think?

Sorry to hijack your thread Barney LOL

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
I've only been the one time, and that was a few years ago. It's an interesting habitat, but a local would be better placed than me to elaborate, (the Barnack site).

sbarnhardt

Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Thanks Steve... however the location given was at Warsop.

Would Hills and Hollows make a decent article too, do you think?

Sorry to hijack your thread Barney LOL

Not a problem D! I've actually sent you an email about this before I saw you'd responded.

Users who are viewing this thread