• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hillwalker films Scottish Wildcat kits (BBC) (1 Viewer)

These are clearly hybrids. The tail rings are not separate but joined by a dorsal black line: the tail tip is pointed not blunt. The body stripes break up into spots especially towards the back end and onto the haunches.

The problem with the Cairngorms is that humans live at high density and have many cats, pet, farm and feral. The few (if any) pure Wildcats left there lose most if not all matings to such animals.

Unfortunately ZSL Scotland etc initially proclaimed the Cairngorms as the site to save the Wildcat. It isn't, as outlined above. They have realised this and more recently have declared they want to take full-blood Wildcats from their last refuges in the West of Scotland, where a rival but much better thought out effort has been running for some years - the Wildcat Haven - and initiate a captive breeding programme. Thus they will simultaneously begin an effort of doubtful success while destroying the only real hope there has been - with neutering of pet and feral cats across the area to ensure matings are successful between Wildcats.

Thus also two groups of people with a common aim are absolutely at odds. Stupid doesn't begin to describe it. Personally I am on the side of the non-Establishment project.

Anyway, nothing to see here. Move on.

John

This is all a big shame to hear. Be interesting to know if anything besides the footage itself has propelled this story to national news, i would suggest not but who knows?

The quote in the article that the footage appears to show full Wildcat kittens is from Scottish Wildcat Action. Is their presumable mis-identification due to lack of knowledge of their sole study species or an exercise in PR?

Assume John you mean RZSS when you say ZSL Scotland? They are in this partnership but I don't see ZSL.

This is all a big shame to hear. Be interesting to know if anything besides the footage itself has propelled this story to national news, i would suggest not but who knows?

The quote in the article that the footage appears to show full Wildcat kittens is from Scottish Wildcat Action. Is their presumable mis-identification due to lack of knowledge of their sole study species or an exercise in PR?

Assume John you mean RZSS when you say ZSL Scotland? They are in this partnership but I don't see ZSL.

Sorry for the delay, been getting the dinner on. Keema masala - I can do it in my sleep but I do actually have to be there....

Yes, RZSS. Had a momentary blank when I was thinking of the abbreviation and couldn't be bothered to look it up.

As for the mis-ID, given the credentials of the organisation's experts, it's impossible to view it as other than deliberate: an attempt to hoodwink the public for project publicity. Sad, really.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back