• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Historical Impossibility? (1 Viewer)

I was watching the "supposedly live" BBC coverage of new year across the country two days ago and clearly heard the call of a Scops Owl on their whistlestop tour of various towns.

They must have filmed it in summer in the Mediterranean and used extras and props to recreate new year.

Dances with wolves was set in South Dakota – I heard lots of Canyon Wrens in the Black Hills where part of it was actually filmed!

The most famous of all time (if it has not been mentioned already!) must be

"There'll be bluebirds over
the white cliffs of Dover............."

postcardcv said:
of course they did, but it's quite a rarity - the whole destroying the ring thing was just an excuse for a bit of twitching... you know hobbits, avid listers ;)

Looking at it another way, does this mean that some listers are hobbits? Then there was the awful pun about twitching being hobbit-forming |:x|

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth was holding a nice Harris Hawk on Sunday in the Virgin Queen BBC1 - theoretically possible I suppose, but in 1559 I doubt they would have bothered with all the effort of bringing one back over the pond and training it up.

Anthony Morton said:
Hi Woody,

That's exactly the kind of historical cock-up I was thinking of. Brilliant!

Another of my favourites was the biblical epic where God/Moses/Abraham (sorry, can't think which!) was sitting on the throne with his hands cupped around the ends of the armrests - clearly showing fingers heavily stained with nicotine. Clang! :smoke:

Anthony

What are you talking about????? A movie? Or are you just trying to malign Christianity? If so, that's highly offensive toward myself and 30% of the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Anybody remember the old Robin Hood TV prog in black and white? The opening sequence where the arrow flies at supersonic speed through the air, when slowed down, allegedly shows a telegraph pole and a woman in a mini skirt (presumably one of the camera crew).

Gus

What really gets me is when you see a painting or something of a bird feeder with Cardinals, Western Tanagers, Blue Tits and Black-Capped Chickadees....|=)|

Or when in a movie when you hear a Red-Tailed Hawk, when actually they're showing Bald Eagle! My sister is always telling me to stop because I'm always whispering these things to her during a movie!|=)|

Runcorn Birder said:
I was watching the "supposedly live" BBC coverage of new year across the country two days ago and clearly heard the call of a Scops Owl on their whistlestop tour of various towns.

They must have filmed it in summer in the Mediterranean and used extras and props to recreate new year.

No not the Med but Sandwich,Kent ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back