• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

The Lynx website is now advertising 3 Illustrated Checklists of the mammals of South Asia China and the Southern Cone of South America.
The first is due mid February.
They appear in the "Our Collections" area of the website.
It would seem that there may not be one volume for all mammals, but only for individual areas.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. Looks interesting. Not sure why they are called an illustrated checklist and not a field guide (there are sample pages for the Southern Cone one only).

Lynx seem to be following their strange habit of often choosing areas well covered by existing publications.

Thanks Kevin. Looks interesting. Not sure why they are called an illustrated checklist and not a field guide (there are sample pages for the Southern Cone one only).

Lynx seem to be following their strange habit of often choosing areas well covered by existing publications.

I would imagine that the text is very limited and the price would indicate an insubstantial work?

Last edited:

China already has a decent guide, South America is very lacking.

This is earlier than I'm thought. I'm curious whether they will also include newly described mammals (from 2019/2020) or splits like Styan's Red Panda. The only "new" mammal which will be surely included is the Olinguito (Bassaricyon neblina) which was included as undescribed species in HMW1 (2009).

The inclusion of 100 extinct and 18 domesticated mammals is good news. It will be interesting to see if all the primate variations shown in the original volume will be re-done.

I am not sure whether the Checklist will be really list 100 extinct mammal taxa when there are only 93 listed recent extinct mammal taxa (species and subspecies) in the IUCN Red List.

I am not sure whether the Checklist will be really list 100 extinct mammal taxa when there are only 93 listed recent extinct mammal taxa (species and subspecies) in the IUCN Red List.

Well, IUCN tends to be slow to change there listing from endangered to extinct (and for good reason, since sometimes people get it wrong). So some of these species included within that 100 are extinct but not recognized so by IUCN.

Chinese River Dolphin is for instance just listed as critically endangered, when it's almost certainly functionally extinct if not literally extinct.

As Lynx have commissioned 800 new Primate illustrations I wonder if they are considering publishing a new edition of HMW3 in the future?

I would buy that book in a heartbeat then.....

I wonder whether this new checklist will use a consistent taxonomy like their bird checklists, but given the coming "regional checklists" still use inconsistent taxonomy, I don't have much hope.... What use is a checklist if for one family an extreme PSC approach is adopted, when this isn't done for closely related families...

I doubt if they want to republish the whole Primate volume, but a book like 'The illustrated checklist of primates' with the new illustrations I would buy, too.

New sample pages now on the Lynx website. Now showing 3 giraffe species,and primate illustrations with 3 orang-utan species. Also new cat species from South America.

Last edited:
Just put in an order for it...looking forward to seeing what taxonomic changes they are supporting, since even the preview pages suggest some interesting splits/taxonomy compared the the two volumes of the original series I own.

Just put in an order for it...looking forward to seeing what taxonomic changes they are supporting, since even the preview pages suggest some interesting splits/taxonomy compared the the two volumes of the original series I own.

I'm still very undecided on whether I want / need this or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back