• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

Received and elated!

Looking at the Lynx website, I conclude that the two-volume checklist is now available. So I just hope to get it soon, as the preview pages look really promising!

I'm sure this set will become my main set of references regarding world mammals, just like it has become regarding birds. (Despite the fact that I own complete sets of both original multi-volume publications.)

My copy of the two-part set of the Illustrated Checklist arrived yesterday and I gave it a first look-over today. This is another superb achievement by Lynx. I'm really extremely happy. The gibbons are now a joy to look at, and I think there must be many more re-done illustrations, not only among the primates. Print quality is superb as well. Unlike the 9-volume original HMW, here it is much easier to get an overview over the incredible variety of the world's mammals. And also of the unbelievable number of very similar forms, particularly among the Chiroptera and the "mice". Many species or even species groups had fallen through the cracks in my perception before. Here, it is much easier to keep things together.

A minor irritation, at times, comes from the fact that illustrations do not always follow the text sequence. Species numbers and (scientific) names are printed just a bit on the smallish side so that one needs to look twice when such problems show up. And sometimes, there are several species with the same numbers. It is particularly irritating when the species depicted on the first page of the spread are not the ones that the text part begins with. But that is complaining at a very high level. So nothing to keep from thoroughly enjoying this great set. :t:

In a few cases, it would have been nice to have the domestic forms that got a good text treatment illustrated as well, e.g. Mouflon and One-humped Camel.

Last edited:
Heard back from Lynx today. Apparently all US orders were bundled together in one big shipment which is being sent by boat. I may get it at the end of November?

So I guess if any other Americans are waiting for this, there you go if you are wondering where it is.

I used the tracking information provided by Lynx. According to that, on its way from Spain to Barbados, the package has spent two weeks making it all the way to Germany.

Niels (who thereby is the 3:) )

Galagos drawn by artist Faansie Peacock as part of the new primate illustrations included in the illustrated checklist of the mammals of the world, impressive artwork! :clap:

Attachments

• DD06C3A7-320F-4D26-A8A2-FD6AE495A2C5.jpeg
    DD06C3A7-320F-4D26-A8A2-FD6AE495A2C5.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi. Has someone from the U.S. already received the Illustrated Checklist or have any news about it? It's practically almost december now, but it seems that the books have had little movement.

Hi. Has someone from the U.S. already received the Illustrated Checklist or have any news about it? It's practically almost december now, but it seems that the books have had little movement.
Mine made it to Thailand, where due to covid border restrictions the postal service has been severely hampered, so perhaps worth contacting Lynx to find out when it was sent.
It is worth the wait - I'd go as far to say it's my favourite book(s) on my shelf, I can't sing its praises high enough.

James

Still waiting. Lynx said it would take 10-20 days for it to arrive, and I think I am on day 18? so fingers crossed?

In my case, Lynx is using a postal company named Asendia. According to the tracking information, the books arrived in their facility at Rodgau on October 22 and departed on November 17. Probably someone wanted to read it before letting it move on ;)

Niels

I did receive my copy a couple of days ago. The box around the two books was slightly damaged. The inside back cover of volume 1 was upside down.

Niels

I did receive my copy a couple of days ago. The box around the two books was slightly damaged. The inside back cover of volume 1 was upside down.

Niels
If the book wasn't damaged Niels, then the packaging did it's job. I often get packages which are damaged in some way but the books inside have always been OK.

That upside down cover is weird, have you contacted Lynx?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back