• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (4 Viewers)

and....still waiting...
In Europe, materiel sent by ship is being subject to delays, because when COVID first hit, shipping movements reduced drastically, with the result that many container ports had a surplus of empty containers and no ships to move them to where they could be filled. The recent surge in shipping activity has resulted in ships arriving to unload, but with little space to stack their cargo because so many empty containers were in the way. Consequently unloading slowed to the pace that offloaded containers could be moved directly out of the ports by road transport. The result is that ships are queuing at anchor awaiting a berth, and empty trucks are queuing to enter the ports to pick up containers. When a ship is empty, it may sail away without waiting to pick up a full load of empty containers, because it is more profitable for ship owners to sail empty to a port that has full containers to be transported. Meanwhile, exports from China are stalling because there are too few empty containers at Chinese ports. Many containers destined for UK have instead been offloaded at large ports such as Antwerp in Belgium, and so shipping agents then have to arrange for its onward movement to UK. All, of course at vastly increased cost; some containers at Antwerp may have to wait a month or more before they can be sent on. It's not that the US will be hit directly by this problem, but that materiel in containers destined for the US may just be caught in one of these queues. Lynx have advised me that my order is on its way, but whether it will experience a direct route to a UK container port or will come by van via a ferry port will depend on the shipping agents' information from day to day, and so may suffer some delay.
MJB

For those who got their copy of the Illustrated checklist of the mammals of the world, can you please give me your opinion about the new primate plates and how each artist’s illustrations stand in comparison ?

Thank you

For those who got their copy of the Illustrated checklist of the mammals of the world, can you please give me your opinion about the new primate plates and how each artist’s illustrations stand in comparison ?

Thank you
I have only looked at the gibbons in some detail, and I think it's an awesome improvement!

So, a thread on mammalwatching.com has been established about the significant delivery delays for folks stateside. Some people have ordered copies as late as December 10th and received them, while other folks like myself haven't after more than 2 months of waiting. This is getting ridiculous.

So, a thread on mammalwatching.com has been established about the significant delivery delays for folks stateside. Some people have ordered copies as late as December 10th and received them, while other folks like myself haven't after more than 2 months of waiting. This is getting ridiculous.

I know that in the past, my orders through a third party, have been delayed by several months and I've been told (hearsay only) that some publishers are trying to cut out the booksellers, using a variety of techniques.

Perhaps some were ordered through third party vendors and others, directly from Lynx, interested to know?

Praise to the birding gods....it only took almost two whole months since shipping, but my copies of the illustrated checklist arrived today. Now just have to wait for All the Birds of the World, which I ordered in early December.

Good day to ya’ll

I’m interested to know, for those who own a copy of the illustrated checklist, how do you rate the new primate illustrations overall and what’s your favorite artist of the five that have done them ?
Also, your favorite plate personally, I’ve heard from some that the Gibbon plates are the best, please share your opinion.

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back