• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hokkaido mid-June 2012 (1 Viewer)

Steve Schoech

Found some long lost photos and hoping for a bit of help with a few. Given my limited experience in that part of the world just not that familiar with what are likely routine for some of you. Most were from the Notsuke Penninsula, though not sure about the rosefinch. Apologies if I screw this up but first time with this new format. Black-browed Reed Warbler 07.jpg Black-browed Reed Warbler 07.jpg Black-faced Bunting 03.jpg Black-faced Bunting 03.jpg

Attachments

• Long-tailed Rosefinch 01.jpg
    Long-tailed Rosefinch 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Siberian Stonechat (female) 01.jpg
    Siberian Stonechat (female) 01.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Whooper Swan 01.jpg
    Whooper Swan 01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

johnallcock

#1. I agree this looks like Black-browed RW. I'm used to seeing them in fresh autumn plumage so it looks really pale to me, but I can't think of anything else it can be.
#2. Black-faced Bunting personata (sometimes suggested as a split from the mainland taxa)
#3. I agree with Long-tailed Rosefinch.
#4. Siberian/Stejneger's Stonechat (depending which taxonomy you use).
#5. Snipes are always tricky! This looks bulky and pale, which suggests Latham's to me. But I've never seen one, so it would be worth hearing the opinion of someone with experience.
#6. Yes, agree with Whooper Swan.

MacNara

Japan
#1. I agree this looks like Black-browed RW. I'm used to seeing them in fresh autumn plumage so it looks really pale to me, but I can't think of anything else it can be.
#2. Black-faced Bunting personata (sometimes suggested as a split from the mainland taxa)
#3. I agree with Long-tailed Rosefinch.
#4. Siberian/Stejneger's Stonechat (depending which taxonomy you use).
#5. Snipes are always tricky! This looks bulky and pale, which suggests Latham's to me. But I've never seen one, so it would be worth hearing the opinion of someone with experience.
#6. Yes, agree with Whooper Swan.
I agree with all of these. Latham's Snipe is the default at that season in Hokkaido.

I'm looking at this on a full-size screen. When the new BF site arrived a couple of weeks ago, I made a fuss (and maybe a fool of myself) on the 'Snaggle' forum saying that the new photo attachment system was a mess. But it was and it hasn't changed as the original post in this thread shows. Looking on a smaller screen (iPad Mini) the top post here is not so bad, but still a mess in my opinion. And it's all too easy to attach both a full-size photo and an 'attachment' link. And viewing the attachments with the black overlay and then clicking back to the thread is far more trouble and less natural than the old BF way of doing things, IMO.

The 'attachment' links are square cutouts from the actual photo and may not show the bird at all (though in this thread they do). The full-size photos are pointlessly huge compared to the text. People (other than me) posting full-size photos into the text don't seem to realise that you can click on the photo after posting full-size, and then resize by dragging from the bottom left corner before commiting the post, so that it appears a reasonable size. As I will try to demonstrate with the OP's photo here - NB to repeat, the resizing was not done on my computer before posting, as used to be necessary, but after uploading and choosing to post 'Full image'. Fingers crossed.

I don't understand why the people who made the new site can't do better than this with the photo bit. (You probably need to look at this thread on a full-size or laptop screen to see the benefit of what I have done - full-size photos resize on a mobile screen, but not at all on a desktop or laptop screen.)

BF BbW 2020.jpg

Steve Schoech

Thanks to all for the feedback and confirming my IDs. From MacNara's comments I can see that I'm not the only one who's a bit confused by the photo posting process and options. Given no travel to new places, I hadn't any photos of unknowns or questionables in over a year so this was my first exposure. Regardless, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread